Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

best way to setup warrior for trail riding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to setup warrior for trail riding?

hey guys could use alittle advice im picking up my 2000 warrior on saturday and it is all stock would like to get her setup for spring question is i do trail riding no high speed stuff just trails, woods roads, some hills any ideas what would work for this type of riding, different sprocket ratio, jet kit, skid plates, etc? im worried about the rear sprocket got to protect it from rocks etc, already bought new tires got kenda bear claws all around. any help would be great! thanks kris

Old 01-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

new front shocks for sure(Works/Elka), for skid plates check out DG, and i recomend a pipe to give you more power FMF makes good pipes, a front bumper and nerf bars maybe a better axle it really depends on how much you want to spend

Old 01-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think the warrior's stock shocks are fine for trail riding, which is mostly what I do. Skid plates would be the first thing on my list after tires, and are a very good investment of your money. I would recommend AC racing skids if you want real high quality stuff, or armadillo if you are looking to save some money. I don't recommend DG at all, I had a DG swingarm skid for about a year and it's already trashed. 2 of the welds broke clean off, and the other 2 welds are cracked half way through. If you get taller tires then I would go with a 12 tooth sprocket for the front to get your gearing lower for slow technical trails. A slip on exhaust like hmf is also a good investment to get some more low end power. In the future, or if you're willing to spend the $370 now, edelbrock carburators are about the most bang for your buck mod you can put on a warrior. You get more power, throttle response, much easier rejetting, and no choke starting in cold weather. Mine's already on the way, and I can't wait till friday

Old 01-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Range Rover

thanks would you still go with 12 tooth front with 22" tires? also are the aftermarket slip ons loud i would like to keep the sound down if possible, will look into skids right away. thanks again.

Old 01-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have 22's and run a 12/40 setup most of the time. The only time I use my 14 tooth is when i ride on mx tracks or big fields. Most aftermarket slip ons are a lot louder than stock, but FMF makes a couple that are supposed to be reasonably quiet. Those run in the $300 range though, which I think is too much for a slip on.

Old 01-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

When i had my warrior i had a alba pipe kit on it and modified airbox lid...i blew out 2 sets of stock shocks on the front( i did big air jumps tho) i then got the at steelers works front suspension i think they were called..WOW what a nice ride they had although they wouldnt be my first mod for a bike like yours i would still do it for sure. I had a dg swingarm skid and that thing was huge and never had a problem with riding in the rocky mountains at all. First thing i would do is swingarm skid and belly skid then i would get some good 22 inch tires (6ply), pipe and filter, front shocks.

Old 01-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

i run shredder tires frnt and rear full chassis skid plates heavy duty valves k&N air filter high compression piston some modded cam.. fmf powercore 4 pipe with powerbomb header, i have 14/40 set up i rip in anything i get asked to rip in, perfect setup for me i keep up with anyone, awesome accel awesome top speed and it has enough toruq to get over anything

Old 01-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

i have a warrior and i found the best setup for trails is a supertrapp slipon cause its quiet but still sounds nasty, and full skids including a-arms skidplates cause the a-arms are not too strong. also you should get a rear bumper to protect the chain and rear break disc. nerf bars are always good too

steve

Old 01-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Range Rover

thanks, hey is the super trap slip on alot louder than stock? what model supertrap? thanks

Old 01-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: slowneasy
thanks, hey is the super trap slip on alot louder than stock? what model supertrap? thanks
The Supertrapp isn't the best pipe if you're looking for good power gains IMO. You might want to look at some other companies like Yoshimura and FMF. They are more performance minded while Supertrapp tends to just be loud, with minimal power gains.

Quick Reply: best way to setup warrior for trail riding?