Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly brake bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly brake bleeding

After rolling my 02 grizzly last week I have little rear brake pressure. I tried bleeding them the normal way and with a vacuum pump, but niether had worked. What is the best way to bleed them?

Old 01-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

just like a car,,,open the bleed valve,,,have someone depress the lever,and hold it,,,,,shut the valve ,,,,pump,,,,,make sure the resevoir stays full,,,,repeat until nothing but fluid,and no air,,,,repeat for each caliper/drum

Old 01-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's what I had tried at first. I actually did it long enough to fully flush out the whole system. With the way the lever and pedal feel I'm thinking there 's an air pocket either in or near the master cylinder.

Old 01-08-2006, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

or you may be sucking air inthrough someplace slowly,bad connection,bad seal,hole in a line,,,,keep an eye out for wet spots around the lines and such

im assuming all of your pads are OK

Old 01-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Range Rover

You can try to tie the brake on and leave the pressure on overnight while periodically tapping lightly on the whole brake line. I've had this work before.

Old 01-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

he said he rolled it,and this developed after,,,,im thinking he has a small crack somewhere in a line,or where a line and fitting meet thats small enough to be able to bleed the brakes,but big enough to let air in slowly

seems logical for this to happen after the bike took a spill

that is a good idea you have though,ive never tried that,i'll have to remember that

Old 01-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know what bikes you have but the grizzlies have the rear master cylinder and all lines inside the frame by your right foot with a cable running the the bars. With how it had rolled the hand brake was the only thing that could have hit anything. Even though I did look extensively for any leaks or damage and did not find any.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

i dont know what kind of Grizz you got,,,,but mine has a front hand brake,,,anouther hand brake that brakes all four,and a foot brake that brakes just the rear

did you roll it,or tip it on its side? did it,or did it not start this issue after you rolled it?

i was just trying to give you some options to look for,,,,you figure it out

Old 01-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If youre haveing trouble getting a firm feel..look for stuck or seized or bent slider pins, in the calipher. Did the master cylinder get empty? Did the brake calipher take a direct hit?

Old 01-09-2006, 01:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

my right hand brake is for the front, the left and foot brake is for the rear only.

What happened was that I was going up a really steep hillside and had to crawl over a tree root. When the front tires got to the peak I must of lost traction and spun the front sending me over backwards. How exactly it hit I can not tell you because i was rolling as fast as I could down the hill. Judging by where the bike was laying, and the damage it rolled over straight backwards. Then somehow guessing a rut, it pivoted smashing the left side of the front rack down 25-30 deg. The left bar was packed with mud fortunately nothing there was bent except the aluminum brake. It did not tumble just basically stood up and fell to the side. I would have thought that if anything would have happened to the brakes it would be the front with the reservoir at the highest point. No direct hit except the left handle bar, there's no evidence to the front system hitting the ground at all. I could not tell a loss of fluid but with it being up-side-down when the bar hit, the air in the reservoir would have been sucked into the lines if the lever was squeezed.

Quick Reply: Grizzly brake bleeding