Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine 450

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine 450

It looks like this may be my best bet - as I'm looking for an ATV that can play dual roles function as a sport model when I want to play around or function as a trail rider in 4x4 ... is this it???

I am 6 feet and 230lbs (long legs) so will this machine be comfortable for me and pull my fat a$$ - LOL ...?

Thanks folks

Old 01-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Wolverine 450

The wolverine is a good choice. The Polaris Scrambler is a little bigger and may fit you better. I would check both out and make your decision.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wolverine 450

i would get the yamaha I wouldnt get a pussialaris

Old 01-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wolverine 450

I'm 6'1" and 220 (gasp) and it fits me fine. Fun unit!!I'd give you a better ride report, but I can't keep my wife off of it!!

Old 01-11-2006, 02:54 AM
Range Rover
Default Wolverine 450

Unless I go nuts, it looks like this may be the ride for me also. I am not totally turned on by it due to a few things I wish were different on it. There is alot of plastic parts. I could be wrong, but it looks more like a light weight utility quad with no low range and raptor style plastic than a sport quad with 4 wheel drive. Quad mag had some nice things to say about it except for the brakes. They mentioned that a pipe and clutch work would help. Clutch work on CVT? Perhaps more performance could be gotten out of it but would the trans and driiveline hold up? How strong is the suspension and will it absorbe bumps or bounce? It would be great to hear from some one that has one. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Trailblazer
Default Wolverine 450

Originally posted by: EasyQuader
Unless I go nuts, it looks like this may be the ride for me also. I am not totally turned on by it due to a few things I wish were different on it. There is alot of plastic parts. I could be wrong, but it looks more like a light weight utility quad with no low range and raptor style plastic than a sport quad with 4 wheel drive. Quad mag had some nice things to say about it except for the brakes. They mentioned that a pipe and clutch work would help. Clutch work on CVT? Perhaps more performance could be gotten out of it but would the trans and driiveline hold up? How strong is the suspension and will it absorbe bumps or bounce? It would be great to hear from some one that has one. Thanks.
I have been back and forth - back and forth - 4x4 or sport bike, 4x4 or sport bike -

I talked with a friend today who has been into ATV's for a very long time simply put (he said) unless you are going hunting (need for lots of gear), using it as a utility vehicle (plowing, etc) or exploration of the great white tundra - then a sport bike is the most fun you can have on four wheels.

According to him you can ride the trails just as well and in most cases better. He stated, the 4x4 ATV's will beat you up all day long on a trail ride where the sporty suspention will be more forgiving (again his opinion). Also, when I'm not out on the "trails" I can zip around on my property and have some fun right here at home vs a 4x4 farm vehicle. How the hell do you ride a 4x4 auto around your house for recreation and not look and feel like a complete donkey.

So after days and days of research searching dealers talking to all kinds of people looking at all the major brands we seem to be right back where we started with the Yam 700R Raptor... The cylinder is loaded my finger is on the trigger I'm squeezing it for two Raptor 700R's ... One his and one hers...

Old 01-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Wolverine 450

I guess I would have to agree and disagree sith some of your coments. 4x4's don't beat you up as your ride. I have ridden over 200 miles in one day and I was tired but not beat to death. I have also spent several years racing off road and I have been more beat after a 70 mile desert race than 200 miles leasurely riding my 4x4. However, If I rode my 4x4 like my race quad then I would agree that my 4x4 would beat me to death.
Next on the ability to conquer trails. It all depends on the riding your doing. I have been on trails that sure I could take a sport quad on but I would have worked the clutch and the motor over and probably overheated. I have even seen some people try.
The difference between a utility and a sport quad is like night and day. They are at opposite ends of the spectrum. The wolverine and scrambler try to bridge that gap by having a machine that doesn't excel at either but does good at both. The wolverine is lighter and its suspension is sport tuned for faster trail riding. Will it go as fast or handle as nice as a sport quad...NO but it will handle better than the 4x4. Will it climb technical trails and slop through the mud like a 4x4...NO but it will do it better than a sport quad. It represents a good balance between someone who wants to go fast but also wants the ability to ride some of the more 4X4 oriented trails. It is this niche of people that the "Sport 4x4" is designed for.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wolverine 450

I'm 6'1" 250 and it hauls me up the best dunes I can find. I'm happy with what I got.