Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bought a broken 94 Blaster- can't get it to run

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a broken 94 Blaster- can't get it to run

I bought this blaster w/ an FMF pipe for $550 over the summer, put $150 into it, and it still won't run. I have great compression (fresh .040 over bore) and spark. I actually rode it for a few minutes but have had problems since. It won't idle anymore, and when it did, as soon as I went into gear it would just bog down. I know the throttle cable is sticking, and my friend said it sounds like something a bad clutch basket may cause. For the record- the oil injection was bypassed and I've been running premixed gas. Any ideas or what I should check? I'd love to whip this around in the snow since my bike and car are both off the road! Thanks for any input!

Old 01-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

i hate to say it.. but was it rejetted?

Old 01-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Trailblazer

Did you do the top end rebuild? If you did, did you take the clutch basket apart.
As for the idle problem try adjusting the idle screw. If that doesn't work, take the carb apart and clean it with a can of carb cleaner. Not the spray stuff. Use the kind you dip the carb in.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, it was rejetted.

The whole not idling thing MUST be a carb issue, I mean, there isn't anything else to go wrong. When the quad was running there were no problems with the clutch which is why I'm shocked it would just die like that. It does feel funny though, could be becuase the return spring isn't on correctly (the tab broke off). I didn't know carb cleaner was available in a non-spray form, I'll try that and report back.

Any other ideas?

Old 01-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

if the clutch basket has been taken apart since you rode it then the main nut that holds the basket together could have been over tightend. if it is over tightend then the two peices of the basket can not spin independently of each other. if this happens then the clutch can not be disengaged causeing the engine to bog down.

the non-spray carb cleaner comes in a 1 gallon can (looks like a paint can) and has a dipping cage in it to hold the parts.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tips. The clutch basket was never removed, which is why I don't understand it just breaking. How long does it take to pull the clutch basket and inspect it?

Old 01-13-2006, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider

not long at all

Old 01-13-2006, 03:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Some other questions since I'm trying to get this running without sinking more money into it unless necessary (too many other toys):

1. When bypassing the oil injection, for wiring you just unplug it- i.e. no splicing, etc.
2. I want to bypass the TORS system and keep the stock carb top for now, can I just unplug the wiring or do I splice the wires?
3. Where should the idle screw be set roughly- I bought a new carb top on ebay and don't know where any settings should be.

Thanks guys, can't wait to get this running! It's been sitting for 3 months since I've been so frustrated.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: firebirdjosh
Thanks guys, can't wait to get this running! It's been sitting for 3 months since I've been so frustrated.
NO offence............BUT it was time to buy a book about 3 months ago!!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] $24 seems pretty cheap to keep a bike from running for 3 months

Old 01-13-2006, 05:56 AM
Range Rover

I bet it is the TORS. If the throttle is sticking,and the TORS are hooked up it will make the bike run like sh*t....................

Quick Reply: Bought a broken 94 Blaster- can't get it to run