Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

grizzly660 tires help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grizzly660 tires help

need to know what the best trail/mudd tire is. and i was also wondering what is the biggest tire i can put on it without dramatically down grading the performance. It is an 06model if it matters. I was also told that if i add an aftermarket pipe it would help with the hp loss with the bigger tires, if this is true what pipe do you also recommend.

THANKS FOR THE HELP

Old 01-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Range Rover

Wow you are going to get allot of opinion on the tires but i will tell you mine. ether mudlites (if u rarely drive on street) or 589's if you like the mud allot. but if your not a big fan of the mud then probaly dirt devils. Now for the size. I would go with 27 my self but u coudl probaly get 28 mud lites.. For the pipe (what he told you is true) i would have to say HMF but i am not big on pipes. I have just heard it is a awesome brand. *i think they make a HMF pipe for a grizz*

Old 01-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the help!

Old 01-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: yamahalltheway
Wow you are going to get allot of opinion on the tires but i will tell you mine. ether mudlites (if u rarely drive on street) or 589's if you like the mud allot. but if your not a big fan of the mud then probaly dirt devils. Now for the size. I would go with 27 my self but u coudl probaly get 28 mud lites.. For the pipe (what he told you is true) i would have to say HMF but i am not big on pipes. I have just heard it is a awesome brand. *i think they make a HMF pipe for a grizz*
how do your 589's run on the beartracker? do they take away a lot of power?...
jw becuase the beartracker is a 250 and i rearely see them on 250s

oh also on tires, i would second the mudlites.. they are a really good "all around" tire. The Lugs arent the deepest but you get a good grip.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Mwest check out my pics and read my list at the bottom of my reply I have done all the bolt ons , except the clutch , I dont think I need to reclutch yet.i like the way the 27" Kenda Bear Claws handle.Good luck.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

I have dirtdevils on my Grizzly... and they work great. They don't dig in too fast, and yet give you good traction... You have to be careful with the kind of tires you get. Too big of luggs... and you'll be digging in fast, bottoming out quicker... and getting yourself very VERY stuck. Also, if you haven't already... you're gonna want to invest in a good wench....

Old 01-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Range Rover

how do your 589's run on the beartracker? do they take away a lot of power?...
HOw do i run them hmmm. i put them on and drive! Just Joking i like to be a smart a$$ from time to time. i didnt think they would fit with out a liuft but they do wow i was suprised. They only rub on pipe if i bottomn out. Yes they do steal all my power it sucks. The only reason i put them on was B/C the trails i ride are so rutted out that a grizzly with 26 inch (Warn down) 589's gets stuck. I would not recomend it. my next tires with ether be 25 mudlightes or smaller tire. THey take so much power sometimes i cant spin them when i am stuck. Once again i recommend not to do just want to express that B/C i have already had to overhaul my motor once.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:03 AM
Range Rover

I have dirtdevils on my Grizzly... and they work great. They don't dig in too fast, and yet give you good traction... You have to be careful with the kind of tires you get. Too big of luggs... and you'll be digging in fast, bottoming out quicker... and getting yourself very VERY stuck. Also, if you haven't already... you're gonna want to invest in a good wench....
I agree with everything but one lil detail. Too BIG OF LUGGS!!! are you insane. TOO BIG and LUGGS just dont go together. Well i kinda see ur point but it depends what kinda mud. some you need lilttle luggs some big all matters waht mud. yes you really need a good winch (*or wench*) lol for that grizzly of yours i would say ether a 2.5 or 3 WARN (always go with WARN i went threw 5 winches till i figured out to go with WARN) winch. I would buy a 3 just to be safe but my buddy has a 2 on his 98 grizzly and never failed him. oh well good luck and welcome to the fourms.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Range Rover

i like the lites and i only have 26"s cause i didnt want to modify anything and lose to much power. and i go through the mud fine with them. i have a video of me on this link. http://www.wheelininthecountry.com/gallery.html

i've had mine for 800 or so miles and about 50 % of that was paved roads and i cant tell they are wearing yet.

with stock wheels i like my setup but with the itp wheels if i had to do over i'd get 10 wide in front and 12 wide in the rear.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

nah.... you need a good wench.... someone to bring you beer and peanuts after those long rides!! heh...

Quick Reply: grizzly660 tires help