Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee, Raptor or YFZ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee, Raptor or YFZ????

bottom line raptor 700 is the best all around bike there u can have fun with that bike and let me tell u if u put some work into that it smokes the 450 and the banshee

06 raptor 700
big gun exhaust
k&n filters
hotcam
dg nerf bars
gytr bumper
power commander

raced yfz450 al worked out also banshee worked up smoked them both only quad that gives me competion is the honda 450r

Old 01-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a DS870 that will flat out Shit and Git!

I have all three....and love each one.

If you are wanting a comfortable ride that is fast and fun go with the Raptor, it is pretty much a do it all bike. If you like to ride hard the best all out quad is the YFZ. It is a little stiffer, but it is the best handling atv I have ever been on. The Banshee is a bit old school, but still rides good and the 2 stroke can be built into a awesome screamer for not alot of money.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: katstoy
Originally posted by: warriorguy22
How much are you going to be ridin on trails? If you are going to be doing mostly trails instead of dunes i really wouldnt reccomend the banshee or the YFZ. Neither have reverse, the banshee will foul plugs alot unless u keep it reved, and the YFZ is too wide with too hard suspension. The raptor would be my top choice, but the front end seem to be constantly up on these, however. Have u considered a 700r or maybe a predator or something along those lines?

All three of the quads you mentioned are great for dunes, light and agile. They won't perform the greastest in trails though, but you should stay pretty far ahead of the competition on the YFZ or Banshee in dragging.
Right now I ride about every other weekend on trails and make 4-6 dune trips per year. So more than half of my riding is on trails. (Although I may just get the Yamaha for the dunes and keep my Kawa for the trails.) On trails I mostly putt along in about 3rd or 4th. I didn't think about the spark plug issue. I don't care for the feel of the Raptor in the lower gears, it feels like it needs to be opened up to be happy. Now the Banshee just purred along in the lower gears. At full tilt both were a great ride.

I don't care too much for the Predator in the dunes, I do like it on the trails. I did consider the Vforce but want to ride one first before I decide. However, out of all the quads I've ridden, I like the Yamaha suspension the best.

If you are keeping the kawi. for trail riding, you can't really go wrong on your choice, but the Banshee's home is in the sand. Unless you plan on doing so major jumping, go for the shee. All you really need to do is pipes, jetting, and paddles and watch out ! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

If i was you i would get the Raptor 700 because it is as fast as the 450's stock, then after mods it is still as fast if not faster. Plus you get reverse and alot softer of suspension. Also it is really torque great for trails whether your going slow or fast doesn't matter. Easy to do wheelies. Great jumper, its just an all around perfect quad. Alot of people would probably agree with me also... Mace

Old 01-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

We have had all three quads as well. My 15 year old son rides a Banshee, I ride a YFZ, and I owned a Raptor 660 before the YFZ. The YFZ is faster and better handling, the Banshee is the most fun, and the Raptor is also a fine quad. If the biggest grin factor is a consideration for you then definitely consider the Banshee. I love my YFZ, and would choose it for any race I cared to enter, but each time I ride my son's Banshee I can't believe how that quad puts a big grin on my face. The screaming high RPM two stroke power is a lot of fun. And for what it is worth, we have owned our Banshee for over a year, and ride it on trails more than we do dunes, and we have never ever fouled a spark plug. If you jet the quad correctly and use good quality synthetic two stroke oil at a propper ratio you won't have a problem with fouled plugs.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Not being rude or anyting but how big are you? Because if you are "dainty" a raptor or a predator might be alittle heavy for you to manhandle (no pun intended) in the event you ever got stuck, not saying wemon can't be strong or not capable of moving 400lbs, but have you thought about a z? I know you seem to like yamahas, as do i, but a z400 seems like it would fit your bill the best to me. At $5700 it is about $1100 cheaper that the raptor or yfz. With that 1100 you could invest in a set of tires, nerf's, bars, lights, graphics, possibly a pipe. Right there is alot. If you ride in trails a z has the speed and power to run with anyting out there. With those mods installed you still may not have the fastest bike around, but you would have one nice ride, with all the accesories, or just another stock quad. Doesn't the z weight around 385 with gas? Thats pretty light. If you have the money go ahead and get a yfz or banshee or a raptor, i like them all, but i thought i would give you a suggestion.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

How old is mama...what size is she....how much riding experience does she have.

Assuming your expereinced and average size, I dont think you could go wrong with any of those bikes.

If your 5'8 and under, i think the 450 would fit you best. The banshee next, but the 700 raptor last, as its the biggest.

The Banshees suspension is the worst so if you liked that, your easy to please.

Banshee parts are more available and varied....but you have to buy 2 of everything. All 700 parts are expensive, plus you have to buy a programmer to adjust the fuel......thats alot more money then a handful of brass jets.

Starting the Banshee is easy with the low compression, kick start or not. The 450 and 700 have electric start which is nice. 700 has reverse which is nice.

If your buying new, the 450 and 700 are the same price, the Banshee is significantly less..

Those are some of the points that i came up with off the top of my head.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

I've been riding for 4 years now, and did my first (unintentional) wheelie last weekend in the sand! My back still hurts. I don't ride that hard, more of a putter in the trails, but I like to go fast in the sand. Size isn't an issue, I'm definitely not dainty or delicate, pretty much just the opposite. Both the Raptor and Banshee were comfy and I was able to handle them on both trails and sand. My Kawa weighs in at about 450 pounds and I've been just fine on that both from being able to load the thing and handle it when I ride.

I guess the biggest thing is that the Banshee won't be here much longer - at least as a new bike - and it was soooo much fun to ride. I just hate kick starting and mixing! There's + and - to both the Raptor and Banshee. I just wish I knew someone with the 450 to test ride it.

Has anyone had "issues" with a first year 700R?

Old 01-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!

If I were you I would go for the Raptor 350, or YFZ 450. With the Raptor 350 you get Yamaha's time tested 350 engine (same engine as the warrior) and you get reverse too, the Raptor is a good quad for the weekend rider. But, if you want more power I recomend the YFZ 450, it has plenty of power, and the 06's have improved suspension for trail riders. I would not recomend the Raptor 700, I think there are bugs that still need to be worked out with the new EFI systems (fuel injection). If you could find an 05 Raptor 660 that would be the best bike for you but if not, Rap350 or YFZ 450 should work just fine.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Range Rover

get the yfz there an excellent handling bike and when you want power youve got power on demand lol. there a nice bike all around if you ask me.

Quick Reply: Banshee, Raptor or YFZ????