Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee, Raptor or YFZ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee, Raptor or YFZ????

OK, mama needs a new bike. But what to buy? I've ridden friends' 660R and a new Banshee and both are so nice. I like the feel of the Yama's - even a friend's Raptor 350 was a nice ride. While I like the convenience of an electric start and reverse, and swore I'd never mix gas, the Banshee's ride is sooooo sssssweeeeeeet! Then there's also the YFZ to consider. HELP!!!

I ride in the dunes and on trails, no racing. Nothing really crazy, don't need to smoke the competition (but it'll be nice to know that I can). I want something to get me to the top of comp hill and still be managable on hard pack trails. Yes, I do want it all.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dam I'd hate to have to make a decision on that one. With those kind of choices it will be a hard decision to make. Doesn't seem like you can lose with any choice you make.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:38 PM
Range Rover

I would go with the raptor, if you are going to be on the trails and dunes. The banshee and the 450 are also great and fast quads, but dont have reverse. I dont know, i see your confusion because now that i think about it i would love to have the shee and the 450 too.
Sorry

Old 01-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971

Or you could just hock the farm and go for all three, of course then you would have to decide which one to ride everyday lol. Good luck.

Old 01-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

All three . . . . a girl can dream can't she?

Of the three is there one that's more mechanically reliable? Is there one that's easier to find after market upgrades for, or one that's more difficult? My Kawasaki 300 was discontinued one year after I bought it. Now there are virtually no aftermarket parts for it! I don't want to run into the same situation with the Banshee.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

haha beleive me, you dont have to worry about gettin parts for the banshee.. in 10 years u will start to see banshee parts start to fade away

Old 01-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

How much are you going to be ridin on trails? If you are going to be doing mostly trails instead of dunes i really wouldnt reccomend the banshee or the YFZ. Neither have reverse, the banshee will foul plugs alot unless u keep it reved, and the YFZ is too wide with too hard suspension. The raptor would be my top choice, but the front end seem to be constantly up on these, however. Have u considered a 700r or maybe a predator or something along those lines?

All three of the quads you mentioned are great for dunes, light and agile. They won't perform the greastest in trails though, but you should stay pretty far ahead of the competition on the YFZ or Banshee in dragging.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!

I beleave you should be able to find Banshee parts for years. I can't give a opinion on reverse or not, being old school I never had it so I never got used to it, or now at this point want it. But yes you have a tough choice to make and like i said I'm glad that its not me, lol. =]

Old 01-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: warriorguy22
How much are you going to be ridin on trails? If you are going to be doing mostly trails instead of dunes i really wouldnt reccomend the banshee or the YFZ. Neither have reverse, the banshee will foul plugs alot unless u keep it reved, and the YFZ is too wide with too hard suspension. The raptor would be my top choice, but the front end seem to be constantly up on these, however. Have u considered a 700r or maybe a predator or something along those lines?

All three of the quads you mentioned are great for dunes, light and agile. They won't perform the greastest in trails though, but you should stay pretty far ahead of the competition on the YFZ or Banshee in dragging.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: warriorguy22

Right now I ride about every other weekend on trails and make 4-6 dune trips per year. So more than half of my riding is on trails. (Although I may just get the Yamaha for the dunes and keep my Kawa for the trails.) On trails I mostly putt along in about 3rd or 4th. I didn't think about the spark plug issue. I don't care for the feel of the Raptor in the lower gears, it feels like it needs to be opened up to be happy. Now the Banshee just purred along in the lower gears. At full tilt both were a great ride.

I don't care too much for the Predator in the dunes, I do like it on the trails. I did consider the Vforce but want to ride one first before I decide. However, out of all the quads I've ridden, I like the Yamaha suspension the best.

Quick Reply: Banshee, Raptor or YFZ????