Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

After Rebuild Raptor Won't Start!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Rebuild Raptor Won't Start!

I got my 01 Rappy bored 40 over, Wiseco piston, Stage 1 Hotcam. I had to put a new starter relay on. It just turns over and over until the battery is to weak to turn it over anymore. Getting spark, compression. I had to drain the gas tank and put fresh gas in it cuz it was no good. One time did it almost fire. Other then that it just turns over. I sprayed starter fluid in the cylinder and it still didn't fire. Now I have to recharge battery cuz it is drained.
Any ideas?

Old 01-29-2006, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

try spraying the starter fluid in the air filter? thats what i did with my 87 warrior and it finally fired after about 5 minutes...spray it in the spark plug hole too. other then that, i have no idea

Old 01-29-2006, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, you said you have compression but what was the number? I'm not saying you didn't check but, I have heard "it has compression" only to find out they based it off sound or feel.

Also, make sure the timing chain is on right according to the timing marks on the crank and cam. If that seems right then check out your valves for correct spacing.

You said there was old gas in the tank? You might just need to clean out the carb. Spray some gas into the intake of the carb and see if it trys to fire. If the motor trys to fire then you might just need to do a good cleaning.

See what you come up with and post an update.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Range Rover

Assuming the motor was starting and running decent before you tore it down... and you have spark (at the top of the compression stroke!) and you have fuel making it into the intake port:

If the gas was really bad, you need to drain your float bowl and pull the petcock from the bottom of the tank. Check it for any junk picked up from the bottom of the tank. Taking the carb apart and cleaning it, would also be advisable, if you are sure the next two suggestions are OK.

1) Like rruser suggested, you need to double check the alignment of the flywheel mark and the timing gear mark. The piston travels to top dead center (2) times for each single rotation of the timing gear. So, if you just went by the mark on the timing gear, it's hard to say where your cam timing actually is in relation to crank position. If the camshaft timing is wrong, it's very easy for the valves to smack the top of the piston. Also, if the camshaft timing is not correct, your valve adjustments are probably off.

2) Atmospheric pressure is 15psi, so assuming 10:1, you should see between 140-150psi on the compression gauge. While cranking it over with the compression gauge screwed into the spark plug hole, hold the throttle wide open and crank it over till the needle stops increasing in pressure. You shouldn't have to crank it for more than 5 seconds.

Given everything is correct, it should fire right over just using the choke. Once I got my 446 back together, it fired up the first time I hit the starter. Make sure the choke is also working like expected.

Old 01-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

check your valve clearance if its too tight, it will let your turn your bike over but not start.