Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2 questions: why yamaha's most popular and ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 questions: why yamaha's most popular and ...

need recommendations for yamaha quad. I'm 63 years old, 225#, first ATV, won't be racing, ride in Eastern/Central Pa and NJ. Want comfort, 4x4, auto, safe.

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you wanting a bigger bore quad, or just something to get around on.

And FYI, Yamaha is very popular, but I believe Honda and Polaris are ahead in sales per year. Let the stone throwing begin.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

no problem, i agree with ya. Honda and Polaris do sell a lot of quads and are very popular. I think Yamaha might be ahead of Polaris in sales, in my opinion, and Yamaha takes the cake on technology over Honda. I think Honda makes a good machine (i own one) but yamaha puts more work into their engines (5 valves, titanium, etc..)

Old 02-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

Yamaha are most popular because they are extremely reliable and do not break everytime you use them *coughlike polariscough*, our kodiak is a 1993 and starts first pull even when its -40 out if you are looking for a comfortable 4x4 automatic, I would say go for the grizzly 660 because they have independent rear susupension, ondemand 4x4 and a whole lot of power, also if you are looking at a used quad they have been making grizzlys from 1998 I believe and they were a 600. If you are looking for a smaller automatic there are the kodiak 400/450 I don't think they have independent rear suspension so they wouldn't be as comfortable as the grizzly but still pretty comfortable. Well I hope this helps you out a little bit.

-David C

Old 02-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: DavidLT250S
Yamaha are most popular because they are extremely reliable and do not break everytime you use them *coughlike polariscough*,
And here we go![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1)Yamaha is popular because thay have been producing decent and reliable quads for years. They have a large dealer network and have a history of providing sport quads even when other manufacturers bowed out of that arena for a while. In other aspects of motorsports where Yam has a presence they have a reputation for providing top shelf performance and power. I believe this is also the case in the land of quads as well. For what it is worth, I have also heard industry reports putting Yamaha(#3) behind Honda(#1) and Polaris(#2) in ATV sales.

2)If you HAVE to have a Yamaha, the 450 Kodiak and 660 Grizzly are both very nice offerings. The Grizz is getting a bit long in the tooth compared to other offerings in its' class though. It is always wise to look into all of the competition, and I would be surprised if there isn't a major revision or total redesign in the works for this quad. The 450 was just reworked, and it is a good atv. I rode with a few of the older solid rear axle models last year, and they seemed to be pretty tough judging from the abuse that was being dished out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: motox26
Yamaha are most popular because they are extremely reliable and do not break everytime you use them *coughlike polariscough*,
motox26
its true every person that i know that owns a polaris say they are good and when it comes to riding they allways break I am just going off of my experinces i do not want to start a fight or nothing but if you want to go with polaris go right ahead just take a look at the other brands too like suzuki's vinson or eiger, arctic cat has alot of different quads, and hondas are awesome too

Old 02-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

First tell us how much you are wanting to spend.
For the money, a Yamaha 350 Bruin 4x4 is a great machine. Selectable 4wd, auto tranny, front disc brakes and adjustable suspension. My girlfriend, who is 48, just loves hers and it's a fun machine to drive in 2wd mode. It's quick on take off but lacks really low end pulling ability. But for plain trail riding...it's a great machine.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

motox26
its true every person that i know that owns a polaris say they are good and when it comes to riding they allways break I am just going off of my experinces i do not want to start a fight or nothing but if you want to go with polaris go right ahead just take a look at the other brands too like suzuki's vinson or eiger, arctic cat has alot of different quads, and hondas are awesome too
Show me another manufacturer that is offering 3 year warranties and lifetime on some of the major components. Only one brother...they do that because they stand behind their product and trust it's reliability.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Webopper
motox26
Show me another manufacturer that is offering 3 year warranties and lifetime on some of the major components. Only one brother...they do that because they stand behind their product and trust it's reliability.
lmao they have a 3 year warranty and a lifetime on major components because they f*ck up so much that people are tired of paying for new parts on there brand new machines i do not want to start a fight so i am not going to reply to this post anymore because all we are going to do is steal this thread over "yamaha is better then polaris" i am only going to reply to this if its about yamaha

Quick Reply: 2 questions: why yamaha's most popular and ...