Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2006 Raptor 700r Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Raptor 700r Problems

RuffCountry is right the plastic is yellow and there is carbon fiber look alike over the radiator the wheels are just polished alum. If anyone around here knows anything about ATVs its that just the words "Special Edition" and that Variant in Color make it have 1/2 a more horsepower than the "average" look alike........................Not really. I just graduated from a Yamaha Warrior that was blue and I didn't want another blue ATV and I wasn't real crazy about the white and silver so I got the "TAXI Edition Raptor" as my wife says, I will say for a Taxi its pretty awesome.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, the 700R SE is one sweet looking quad...............[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey man i was wondering if u ever got to figure out what was wrong with it ive got a raptor 700r 2007 n it ran fine for cuple month n my bro wreck it n i took it apart it sat for cuple months put it back together now it sputters shoots out black n gray smoke juss wondering if they ever figured out what was wrong with yours?

Old 12-21-2006, 02:13 AM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem and it was the TPS (throttle positioning sensor) Mine is a 2007 as well so that may be ur problem because it was mine...ps i had to wait 3 weeks because the damn things were on Back Order

Old 12-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Rapman06
For anyone interested a brand new 700r SE for sale still setting at the dealership waiting to be picked up through me, throw me out a price and its yours............................................. .not really sorry boys I really like this quad.
I am going to pick it up tomarrow becuase the pulse peremeters was some how set different than what it should of been from the factory so the dealership got her fixed and now my new baby is coming home thank god even though the weather is bad I still miss not being able to ride it for 3 out of six day of having it. And I was also informed that I should wait 2 or 3 minutes after starting it cold before I put a heavy load on the throttle, dunno I am no technician mechanic or grease monkey so I will just take their word for it.
The 700 R's have a cold start enrichment (like a choke on a carburated machine) SO you do not want to touch the throttle when you start it. Let it warm up for 4 or 5 min before taking off and riding. If it dies right after you first start it , re start it with out giving it any fuel. If you don't do this you will foul plugs even if your ecu is mapped right. If you do this it won't be nearly as hard on plugs. I also suggest switching to the CR8EIX irridium plug they last much longer and give a bit smoother idle. I have seen lots of 700R owners with this problem on the Raptor specific forums.

Some random thoughts,
I have seen some 700R's that are over rich from the factory and some that run lean. Peeps who get the ones that are on the rich side get away with throwing on an aftermarket exhaust and hi flow filter without running an efi controller and the ones that are already on the lean side need a controller with just the baffle pulled out and the lid off the airbox or their so lean they put aluim flecks on the plug and will eventually burn it up. I think that's why we see the arguments about if you need an efi controller like the Dobeck or PCIII if you do any mods. Yamaha shops with the proper equipment can re program the ECU to run a few percent richer for the GYTR exhaust, hi flow filter and adapter. It almost sounds like yours had the rich programming from the factory. Anyway, I'm glad to hear you got it fixed, hope you have as much fun with it as I have had with mine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

ayo all these posts r good cuz i mite get a 700 Rappy this spring

Old 12-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

You know what I hate, all these post where someone has a problem but NEVER post the fix. If you notice the last post was when he was going to go pick it us. Was it really fixed? Was it really the curve? Come-on, how about some closure to these post people. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well dude i know what is wrong with your raptor....tis not the fuel spark plug or f*** all like that.........mine did the exact same thing ran the same way and all that and guess what........IT IS THE THROTTLE POSITIONING SENSOR your yamamha dealer will spend 36 hours looking for the problem and not find it like mine then try to make you pay for it when it is a factory defect........it is under warrenty........

Old 05-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Nice, It only took a year and 5 moths for someone to post a fix. Thanks sittinhere.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

what map are u using on your power commander?

Quick Reply: 2006 Raptor 700r Problems