Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Watch out for DEER!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watch out for DEER!

Those are some great stories! I've got one of my own. I hit a dear on a Suzuki SV650 street bike doing around 60, on a country road in a curve. I hit him more toward his rear end, and it spun and threw him about 30ft up the road from where I hit him. The bike took a turn toward the guard rail. I was so close to having my head taken off that one the I-beams holding the guard rail scratched the paint off the top of my helmet. Somehow I got the bike back upright and didn't wreck. Because the deer jumped right before I hit him, his butt hit right under my handlebars, and the only damage to the bike was a broken headlight assembly and a bent handlebar, and a skinned helmet. No damage to me. My friends didn't believe me at all, untill I started pulling deer hair out of the broken light. It shook me up so bad, that I didn't ride that road for about year after that happened.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Range Rover

Another one........A bunch of us got chased by a very sizable dog going down a trail near some houses. When it was time to leave I was leading......and figured it may happen again in that area. I am a dog lover and didn't want to see him get accidently bumped by one of us, but he was very protective of his territory. So, I went slow into the area, he appeared and was barking and showing teeth on the trail. I do tons of wheelie riding and started a nice slow speed standup wheelie to make the quad appear to rare up like a bear and would and look very big to him. That dog turned and ran up over the embankment back toward his house, and we all quickly passed without incident! I only did this because of my confidence in my wheelie riding as a screw up there may have been very dangerous to me or the dog.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Not a recomended tactic, however it was effective!

Old 02-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: RIDER11X
Another one........A bunch of us got chased by a very sizable dog going down a trail near some houses. When it was time to leave I was leading......and figured it may happen again in that area. I am a dog lover and didn't want to see him get accidently bumped by one of us, but he was very protective of his territory. So, I went slow into the area, he appeared and was barking and showing teeth on the trail. I do tons of wheelie riding and started a nice slow speed standup wheelie to make the quad appear to rare up like a bear and would and look very big to him. That dog turned and ran up over the embankment back toward his house, and we all quickly passed without incident! I only did this because of my confidence in my wheelie riding as a screw up there may have been very dangerous to me or the dog.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

wheeleies aren't that hard or dangerous to do..you make it sound like you shouldnt try one

Old 02-25-2006, 03:18 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Tyayo420batavia
Originally posted by: RIDER11X

wheeleies aren't that hard or dangerous to do..you make it sound like you shouldnt try one
Well, I was just saying that if something goes wrong and you have a riled up dog coming at you as you are sitting on the ground you could have a problem. I also didn't want to hit the dog, so that was a concern for me as well. Sorry if I didn't come across that way.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Trailblazer

I was riding my buddies old late 80's 230 suzuki quadsport or something like that down a straight dirt road with a feild on on side and a woods on the other. a small deer appeared and was running in front of me a bit but in the same direction as me, at the last second it count in front of me and i ran directly over the top of the deer. i didnt crash or anything. I also didnt seem to brake anything on the atv. i was prolly going about 30ish or more when i ran it over.. the deer was a bit shakin up but got up and took off.. it was a cllose call.... they can be hiding anywhere and pop out at the last second.. and WAW!

Old 02-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

im guessing that most of the deer you guys are hitting dont walk away