Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grips keep falling off

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006 | 05:27 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Grips keep falling off

My buddies grips keep falling off he has after market handlebars ( i think pro tapers) and keeps using grip glue(scotts{which sucks!}) on them...every ride they fall off. Tried hair spray, didnt work. is there any glue that works awesome... hes about to buy new handlebars, and i told him to wait and let me see if the guys on the atv connection can help me!

thanks guys!

Derricks700r

Old 02-27-2006 | 05:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, the scotts grip glue sucks

I've heard a few tricks, but I didn't get a chance to try any yet

One method that sounded like it might work was this:

Wrap a single layer of black electrical tape over the handlebars in the grip area. Fill the grip with gasoline, wait 10 seconds, dump out the gas, and slide the grip over the black electrical tape. You don't have long to adjust the grip, get it where you want it quickly.

But if all else fails, he could use safety wire to hold them on. This is what most (or all) racers use to keep them from sliding off during a race. There's a special plier-like tool used to tighten a piece of wire around the grip You can get them most places that sell atv parts like rockymountainatv.com, and they are cheaper than a new set of handlebars. I don't think the handlebars are the problem though, i've had trouble getting grips to stick with my stock handlebars, my moose handlebars, and the handlebars on my brother's 250ex.

Old 02-27-2006 | 05:56 PM
Range Rover

I used Threebond "Griplock" to install my pro taper grips onto my pro taper bars and I haven't had any issues. (About 20 hours on new bars/grips).

Smuznu

Old 02-27-2006 | 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

garrilla glue works awesome..

Old 02-27-2006 | 06:40 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

safety wire them,,,,,on each end of the grip and maybe in the center if need be

they wont move after that

Old 02-27-2006 | 06:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

Originally posted by: recon99
Yeah, the scotts grip glue sucks

I've heard a few tricks, but I didn't get a chance to try any yet

One method that sounded like it might work was this:

Wrap a single layer of black electrical tape over the handlebars in the grip area. Fill the grip with gasoline, wait 10 seconds, dump out the gas, and slide the grip over the black electrical tape. You don't have long to adjust the grip, get it where you want it quickly.

But if all else fails, he could use safety wire to hold them on. This is what most (or all) racers use to keep them from sliding off during a race. There's a special plier-like tool used to tighten a piece of wire around the grip You can get them most places that sell atv parts like rockymountainatv.com, and they are cheaper than a new set of handlebars. I don't think the handlebars are the problem though, i've had trouble getting grips to stick with my stock handlebars, my moose handlebars, and the handlebars on my brother's 250ex.
actually... if u take diesel fuel.. fill the grip.,. put it on.. let it sit.. it will be on there perma good.

Old 02-27-2006 | 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Use a little spray paint... I use clear so it won't show. Slides on when its wet, and when it dries they won't come off without cutting them up. I also tried that grip glue crap and it really sucked... my grip popped off in my hand on a hill shoot, that really sucked.

Old 02-27-2006 | 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

hey the best is a two part epoxy that you can buy from walmart, it works great
also the safety wire idea is very popular and the next best thing
but please do not!!!!!!! use the gasoline theory cause there wont be much left of your grips even though what is left will be stuck for good the gasoline eats away at the rubber
goodluck