Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee FMF SST - A must read

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2000, 11:18 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hiya folks,

You all know I am always looking for scientific fact to back up manufacturer's claims. I've just received some extremely reliable information.

There is currently a dynocurve floating around out in cyberland. It shows the SST's verses the Toomey pipes. What they aren't telling you is that the Toomey pipes they tested were the "antiquated" T-3 models! Yes, they had the marketing wizardy to test against "Toomey pipes" They just didn't say which ones.

As far as the dyno curve the numbers are dead wrong. Measuring rear wheel horsepower on a dynojet dynometer the Toomey T-5 pipes come in anywhere between 46-50 horsepower. Not only have I witnessed this dyno slip myself, but you can reference it by contacted Toomey Racing Inc.

Now what you've all been waiting to hear! The SST pipes do "not" make more peak horsepower than the T-5's. In all actuality their power peak is very similar, but their low end performance isn't quite as good. Also, The Toomey T-5's hold their power peak longer and rev further!

Why pay as much or more for the SST's with comparable to less performance and miss out on the beautiful show chrome and Toomey construction?

I think not.

The Slick

Old 11-12-2000, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

someone told me the t5's didn't have as much low end as the fatty fmf, I rode one with the gnarlys and it seemed fast and didn't seem to fall off on the top. I am buying a new one next week and cannot decide which pipes to get. I was also going to get the delta force reed cage and possibly the pro billet 19 or 20cc head. btw I trail ride but kinda hard