Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Best first modifications for my Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2000, 02:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would the first couple modifications you guys recommend for me to get for my Raptor? It is currently bone stock.

Old 11-12-2000, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Real skid plates.A arm gaurds ,full undercarrige and rear skids should run you about 200 bucks.I went with prm-atv.com skids and they are mint with perfect fit.The factory yamaha ones look great also but a little on the pricey side.If you do trail riding I would also start saving for a good set of 4 or 6 ply tires because you WILL blow out the stockers within the first few rides.Just ask the others im sure they did also.Good luck. Tim

Old 11-12-2000, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

Along with the skidplates. I would recommend some real handlebars. I just back from riding the first time with my new Renthal bars and it feels like a completely different bike. The bend on these bars are so much better than stock (at least forme anyway). They are the Renthal aluminum banshee bend bars about $70-. I also put on 22" Realtor rear tires for the upcoming snow and lake riding. They work great and don't blowout. Also with the added swingarm height no more bottoming on the rocky sections. Later

Old 11-12-2000, 06:35 PM
Trailblazer

I would go shockwears, swingarm skid plate, then decide what things you want more after that. My first priority is to protect my ride for where I ride (mostly desert roads) - then comfort - then speed. I will probably order the skidplates from PRM as well, along with a 12 tooth sprocket and bars/handguards soon. Exhaust/K&N kit in the spring. The stock tires don't cut it for snow (we were riding in 8-12" this weekend) - I would follow the Realtor recommendation.

Old 11-12-2000, 07:46 PM
Trailblazer

Are Maxxis Razors a good choice for a good all around tire? I will be riding in a little bit of everything as far as terrain. trail,sand,gravel etc

Old 11-12-2000, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Joey, what happens to the plastic piece that the key is in when you put the new bars on? Does it fit on the bars somehow or did you fabricate something.....Thanks Jon

Old 11-13-2000, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

I was going to remove the ignition and make some modifications, but it actually wasn't necessary. Once I got everything together I just removed the crossbar pad, put the ignition and warning lights back in it's stock location, put the crossbar pad back on and it fits fine.

Old 11-13-2000, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

I am running razors right now and I love them for most riding conditions.They dont cut it for deep mud and water though as well as snowey weather.I went riding today and goy stuck in this pretty deep water hole while my buddie on a 400ex running itp spider tracks just barreled right through it like nothing.Its a hard decesion about tires but its nice to have a few differnt set on rims so you can just switch according to riding conditions.Gets a little costly though so save up your pennies.

Old 11-13-2000, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

RaptorRules
$$$$$, IL, US Date Posted: Nov 08, 2000 8:03 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get either a ct racing exhaust or a sparks racing exhaust. They are the best on the market a hell of alot better than WB! I have a CT on my raptor and it absolutely kicks a$$! www.ctracing.com www.sparksracing.com

Notify Moderator
pudjumper
St. Louis, MO, US Date Posted: Nov 08, 2000 10:45 PM

RaptorRules...what exactly makes a CT or a Sparks better than WB? I've got a WB R4 and it's a straight through pipe with little to no restriction. How much hp are you gaining with your pipe? I'm not trying to uphold WB but from what I read, you're not going to gain more than 1-2 ponies with any pipe with everything else being stock on a 4 stroke. I'm sure you were kicking butt (drag racing) without your pipe.
'99 440 11:1 JE, ported, hardened rockers, K&N, XR250 cdi, Race cam, Dyno-Jet, K&N and a WB R-4.
'97 400L Sport .02 Weisco, ported, lightened flywheel, Delta V-Force, clutch kit and a DG pipe.

Notify Moderator
RaptorRules
$$$$$, IL, US Date Posted: Nov 09, 2000 1:23 PM

With my CT pipe and exhaust on my Raptor I am gaining 17 HP. I know this for a fact because I have had my Raptor on a dynorun.

MAN YOU ARE SO FULL OF IT. Your credibility went down the crapper with me. "Best first modifications for my Raptor" Psssft. CT has not released the pipe yet.

Old 11-13-2000, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

This RaptorRules guy and I had a conversation in the Honda forum Nov 8 and the proceeding threads are copied from that conversation. Kinda sucks being caught in a lie don't it RaptorRules.

RaptorRules
$$$$$, IL, US Date Posted: Nov 08, 2000 8:03 PM

Get either a ct racing exhaust or a sparks racing exhaust. They are the best on the market a hell of alot better than WB! I have a CT on my raptor and it absolutely kicks a$$! www.ctracing.com www.sparksracing.com

Notify Moderator
pudjumper
St. Louis, MO, US Date Posted: Nov 08, 2000 10:45 PM

RaptorRules...what exactly makes a CT or a Sparks better than WB? I've got a WB R4 and it's a straight through pipe with little to no restriction. How much hp are you gaining with your pipe? I'm not trying to uphold WB but from what I read, you're not going to gain more than 1-2 ponies with any pipe with everything else being stock on a 4 stroke. I'm sure you were kicking butt (drag racing) without your pipe.
'99 440 11:1 JE, ported, hardened rockers, K&N, XR250 cdi, Race cam, Dyno-Jet, K&N and a WB R-4.
'97 400L Sport .02 Weisco, ported, lightened flywheel, Delta V-Force, clutch kit and a DG pipe.

Notify Moderator
RaptorRules
$$$$$, IL, US Date Posted: Nov 09, 2000 1:23 PM

With my CT pipe and exhaust on my Raptor I am gaining 17 HP. I know this for a fact because I have had my Raptor on a dynorun.

RaptorRules...MAN YOU ARE SO FULL OF IT. Your credibility went down the crapper with me. "Best first modifications for my Raptor" Psssft. CT has not released the pipe yet.

Quick Reply: Best first modifications for my Raptor