Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor's cutting out.....what's the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2000, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey...when I start my raptor it idles alright but when I give it gas it just sputters and backfires and shuts off. If I let go of the clutch real slow it will take off but the minute you give it gas it sputters and backfires. I tried ajusting the P-brake the only way I know how..at the handle bars and it doesn't help. What's wrong???

Old 11-12-2000, 08:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

maybe the jetting has leaned out due to cold weather.

Old 11-12-2000, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Come on guys!!! Help me!!!!! I just got this thing on Saturday, 6:30PM and on Sunday at 6:30PM it's broke. Don't get me wrong, It is a beast, but I think it is just something mineute(sp). Like in the electric. I had just got back from creek riding when it started doing it. I really want to ride it!!!! I can get 20mph in second gear w/ half choke and BARELY hitting the gas, any more and it shuts off. Oh, reverse is INSANELY fast. As soon as I get it running again, I'm going for top speed in reverse. I'm going to measure the speed w/ my friends Honda Rancher. I don't particularly like honda but it is a beast too.

Old 11-12-2000, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

My friends craptor had the same problem. There is a tube from the carburtators that was pinched. Just run it down the side of the air box instead of all tangled up like it is now.

Old 11-12-2000, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

It is imperative that you let the Raptor warm up until it is idling comfortably with the choke off before you ride it, or you will get this reaction. My Raptor has done that from day one, I usually let it idle for approx 3 to 4 minutes (after I have it to no choke) and it runs just fine. I live in New York, and it runs just as good when the temp is 42 as it does when the temp is 72.

ScramblerDrew has the same bike I do, one day older, and we both experiance this, but it is a nice "feature" as far as I'm concerned, as I'm sure that the oil is in the motor before I ride it after a cold start.

Old 11-13-2000, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

Big Crash is right. I don't think your warming it up good enough. I had the same problem. If you let it warm up for a few minutes it clears right up. Later

Old 11-13-2000, 09:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If a proper warm-up does'nt help, check your carb boots. It sounds like yours may have partially blew the carbs off. If that is the problem, have your dealer fix the lean condition. I had mine fixed last week and the problem seems cured. After almost 60 miles of hard riding/moderate riding yesterday, I have 3 words to say....AWESOME TRAIL MACHINE! (like some other sport quads...does'nt like deep mud though)

Old 11-13-2000, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

this may sound dumb but change the plug

Old 11-13-2000, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like what my blaster is doing, I know why MY wheeler is doing it... one reed is cracked and the other is "jerry rigged" with a piece of plastic (wating for new ones).. it sounds like it is doing the same thing?? mabe one of your reeds are messed up?? just a thought....

Old 11-13-2000, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

Disconnect the two electrical plugs from your clutch/parking brake lever perch. Try that, and see if that helps, if not, take it back to your dealer. It has a 3 month warranty.

Quick Reply: Raptor's cutting out.....what's the problem?