Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

***Raptors at Hare Scramble***

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 08:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched a hare scramble in Casey IL yesterday(Nov 12) and saw a couple Raptors. At one of the hillclimbs I found it interesting to see the difference in how the different machines went up the hill. The hill was not very large or difficult. The 400ex and 250r racers had the engines revved up quite a bit. Along comes a guy on a Raptor. It had the stock exhaust and I could barely hear it. He starts up the hill and I swear he was going to kill it because of the low rpm. Instead this thing just torqued right up the hill seemingly at idle!!

This is not meant to say the other quads had a difficult time. I am also not seeking to start a fight with the Honda crowd. I just post this as an observation. I am planning on buying another quad and thought some of you might benefit from some of my "research".

98 Polaris Scrambler (this is why I was watching instead of racing...broke again...lol!)

Old 11-13-2000, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

Seeing your machine, I understand why you didn't race, and didn't go up the hill!!
Not that I'm bashing polaris or scrambler, but I had the "proof" this weekend that nothing is better than a good old gearbox. I could climb some stuff in 2nd gear quite easy, while my pal couldn't climb halfway on his modded scram...is it polaris's fault?I'd rather say the belt's fault.
And to get back to the original topic, I have read (not tested myself) that the Raptor has more low end grunt than high end power (the whole contrary for the DS650).
And whatever happens, it is a good machine, like mostly ALL machines on sale today.
PS. Where can I get a Hare Scramble calendar?

Old 11-14-2000, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

How did the machines place?

Old 11-14-2000, 03:08 PM
Trailblazer

We had to leave before the results were out.

I will be down at Crab Orchard on Dec 10 and I hope to race against and see a Raptor in action. Every time I think I have made up my mind on what to buy I start to have 2nd thoughts.

Old 11-14-2000, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

One of the guys that I race HS with, (he rides the bike class) said that he saw a raptor race at one of the races that I never attended. He told me that it would high side pretty easily in the corners, and wasn't all that impressed with what he saw.

Old 11-14-2000, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer

Question? I was hill climbing this past weekend on a pretty big hill. What I found is that my Raptor would fly up the hill in 1&2 gears but 3/4 of the way up I was wound out in 2 as soon as I upshifted I would lose power fast. Another raptor was there and had the same problem. What should I try?

Old 11-15-2000, 11:48 AM
Trailblazer

paulrn--What's the story on the HS you were talking about (Dec. 10 @ Crab Orchard)? I've heard some talk about on on the same date at Jonesboro, IL. Maybe the same thing, I dunno. I'm kinda interested in watching one of these, but I'd like to know the time and a general location for it. I live about 20 miles north of Crab Orchard so it's not a big roadtrip for me. Thanx

Old 11-16-2000, 10:48 AM
Trailblazer

The race on Dec 10 is a Mid South Championship Winter Hare Scrambles Series race. The flyer says it is a new location. The flyer also says that it is the Little Egypt MC Club. I raced it last year and it was at Jonesboro so I guess they must have moved or expanded or something. The flyer lists Lance Martin 618-252-2062(night) as a contact person. You can also check out the web site at www.msws.org and see more info.

Bring your quad and race. It is an absolute blast. Some guys are out for blood, just let them past and have fun. I enjoy stopping just past a mudhole thereby causing the 2wd 400ex or 250r to get stuck. lol! I only do this when they are cussing and screaming.

Old 11-16-2000, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

You could be content with 2nd up the hill(Naahh), Feather the clutch in 3rd(iffy), or gear down the quad with sprockets.

Old 11-16-2000, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

the raptor is geared real tall stock and has a wide gear ratio, why you would need to hit 3rd and 4th gear on a hill climb with stock gearing is beyond me. 2nd with stock gearing is fast for hill climbs unless your climbing a drag strip anyway I put an 11 tooth countershaft front sprocket on my raptor it helps for climbing but you'll loose alot of top end!

Quick Reply: ***Raptors at Hare Scramble***