Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor exhaust, do you think they all produce about the same hp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have posted a couple of questions about the raptor aftermarket exhaust and I have talked to all the companies and my end conclusion is I think they all are going to produce the same amount of hp! I know CT racing is getting 17hp gain but thats with the jet kit and filter system all the other companies are getting around 10hp with stock air box and if you call ct racing thats all they were getting actually ctracing was only getting 8hp untill they opened up the air box and installed the jet kit. So it seems to me that all these pipes are producing about the same hp and once you install a jet kit and filter system on the raptor with anyone of these exhaust you'll get a big gain. I think I am going to go with graydonrpoline or the sparksracing pipe because there head pipe's are ceramic coated and ctracings head pipe is not and also graydonprolines silencer comes in a anodized blue for all the blue raptor riders out there. So if anyone feels different or has proof or facts that one pipe still produces alot more hp than another pipe when it is jetted and the air box has been opened up please reply with any info!

Old 11-14-2000, 10:15 AM
Trailblazer

Yes - I think on the optimum side of the scale all of them are going to be even if they do their homework and optimize lengths and volumes for the headers. Jetcoating headers is suppose to help a small amount over chromed or st. steel. Most everyone is using a straight-thru silencer with either a Suptertrap or turn down exit, but ultimately they are just trying to get the best flow and worry about noise and spark arrestors later.
Of course jetting and air flow to carbs is a factor also.

I am the guy who is using header and silencer from Dustins Advanced 2-stroke in Oregon City and with no BS it is producing 7HP at peak over a stock peak of 38HP not a bunch of hype like CT's comparison over CA. bike and final increase of 33hp when stock engine has stopped revving.
Besides it is an extremely good looking header and silencer.

I can testify that you had better be a very experienced rider to be able to handle a Raptor with header and Silencer improvements because they are wild.

Big Guns header and silencer are reportedly putting out a peak hp of 4 to 5.

I could take pictures and post if I knew how. I have also added Denton adjustable steering dampener, replaced stock lights with Lazerstar handlebar mounts and plan to install Sparks timing key this weekend.

Old 11-14-2000, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

Where can I see pics of the graydon proline exhaust which is anodized blue? I went to there website but couldnt find a pic.

Old 11-14-2000, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

No picture of the graydonproline exhaust yet, I called them and they told me that they'll have a anodized blue one or a chrome one. These should be available in 2weeks not sure when picture will be up, call them with any questions they have a 1-800 number on there sight. They said the pipe adds 10hp with the air box lid on they are supose to be testing the pipe with a aftermarket filter and jet kit now. They also told me that the same guy who designed CT racings head pipe designed theres so this is the reason I believe that all the pipes should produce the same HP with a jet kit and air filter system on them. I wish I knew for sure though, Unfortunatly I am inpatient as ever and I want an exhaust soon so I am still undecided on what exhaust to get! I am leaning towards the sparksracing or graydonproline due to the fact that there head pipes are ceramic coated and I also dont like the supertrapp look myself that ct racing uses. So let us know if you here anything or what pipe you decide on. There are pictures of the 400ex pipe anodized red on graydonprolines sight, so the raptor exhaust will look like that and the blue is the same color blue as the raptor frame I was told.

Old 11-14-2000, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

I sure like that fact that the Yoshimura pipe retains all of the factory heat guards.

Old 11-14-2000, 07:29 PM
Range Rover

I agree with Bash. I really like the way they kept the factory shields. I'll wait a while untill all the hype settles down and see what kind of numbers the different pipes put out.

Old 11-14-2000, 09:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Here is an interesting 400ex pipe shootout. The variations in peak HP that you see in the dyno runs may be similar to what you will see in the Raptor pipes. I don't think any one pipe will significantly out perform all others.

www.geocities.com/~gtthunder/testbed_set.html

Old 11-15-2000, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

I talked to the guys at BigGun and am sold on there system. It seams very well finished and maintains the stock heat shield. The one thing you have to remember is that pipes are like Baskin Robbins there are many flavors and people are gonna try them all. LOL

Old 11-15-2000, 10:59 AM
Range Rover

A guy I ride with has a BigGun on his DS650 and man that pipe is loud! He uses ear plugs it's so bad. Great pipe otherwise, nice fit and finsh, added lots of much needed low-end to the bike. I did get some info from BigGun in the mail and for this year they are adding some quite pipes to their product line. I hope the dust settles soon on which pipe is best for the Raptor, Xmas is just around the corner

Old 11-15-2000, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

Your not kidding I wish I new for sure on what exhaust to go with, I was considering big gun but I checked out a dyno test on the 400ex and the big gun actually produced 2hp (peak) less than the stock one. Who knows though I still think as long as the head pipes are bigger in diameter and you put a jet kit and ait filter system on they all should be close in HP I hope because if not it is a pretty expensive modification to make if it doesnt do to much! Oh well hopefully we'll here something soon the ct pipe looks good performance wise but as I said befor its not ceramic coated or stainless so it will be more prone to rust. So I am as of right now leaning towards the sparks racing or the graydonprolin and on that dyno test I saw on the 400ex they said the white brothers actually worked the best.