Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

K&N

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N

I keep hearing good and bad things about these filters. I have them on my truck and both ATVs. I have outerwears on all of them. I have cleaned the one in my truck 2 times and the outerwear was dusty and the filter itself was clean. It was the same way on my raptor. I dont see any problem if you use the outerwear. I have also thought about coating the outerwear with a little oil. I wonder if that would be ok?

Old 03-13-2006, 12:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default K&N

I had a k&n on my honda recon for 4 years, and we've had one on my bro's 250ex for about 4 years also. From what I can tell k&n gets all the dust and dirt, because the intake tube and carburetor are still nice and clean, and we ride in a lot of dust. I never had any problems with them, and I love how easy they are to clean. The only reason I have a UNI filter is because it was free, I wish I had the k&n though, because cleaning foam filters sucks.

I wouldn't oil the outerwear, one of the 2 main reasons for the outerwear is so the bigger chunks of dirt just fall into the bottom of the airbox instead of clogging up the filter and decreasing the flow. Oiling the outerwears would make dust and dirt stick to it, and decrease the flow.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default K&N

Good point. All my intake tubes are clean also. If there was anydust coming through it would stick because I havent seen one yet that hasnt had a oil film in them from running oily foam filter.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......
Default K&N

K&N has good quality filters and i havent had any problems with them. I did have a UNI however in my ds650 for half a year or so and the mounting system into the intake tube seemed find and all...like it was as tight as she could go but it was a to small of a lip on the filter and no matter how tight you put it it would still suck in dirt.....i never found this out because it all looked perfect then one day my ds started to blow smoke and the fan kicked in after 1 min of idling...oops my piston was gone along with a bashed up head and a new jug needed. K and N fits nice and snug....i will never use UNI again. I seem to be the onlyone with this problem but thats my findings.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default K&N

I run a K&N in my truck, Harley and quad and have never had problems. I have only heard negative comments from people who run in the sand a lot. I hear that they don't stop sand as well as a foam filter. That is just what I heard, could be wrong.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default K&N

I try to clean mine every month, however, i do not run an outerwear and sand barley gets in it when i take it off to mess with the carb its always clean inside the carb so i see no problem with running it.

I have herd that the farther away you get your filter the more bottom end u get is this true? i have tried it and i cant tell a difference do i have to take the top of the carb off and lower or higher the clip???

Old 03-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default K&N

For that to make much of a difference you need to really move the filter a good bit. I saw a picture of one that was done with a car intake, and the filter was all the way in the back where the battery is on most quads.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default K&N

So you think i should get a long plastic tube or make my own that is like all the way back or how far do u think i should go?

Old 03-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default K&N

I'd probably try to find some pvc pipe that matches the intake boot on your carburetor. I'll try to find the pic I saw with the car intake.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default K&N

Found it! This is on a predator, but it's an aftermarket intake for a honda civic