Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2000, 03:10 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey fellas, thanks to those who answered my last post but I really want to hear from people who have jumped their Raptors at least 4 or 5 feet in the air with a flat landing. Mine cuts out when I land from jumps. I was doing stoppies with it and it cut out when the back end landed from those too. It also seems not to get enough fuel when wheelieing straight up and down. I'm trying to find out if this is a design flaw or if it's just a problem with my machine. I'm going to check the carb vent hoses tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to track this problem down. I love my Raptor but I need to jump/wheelie/stoppie.

Old 11-14-2000, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

I have a theory on this. It is my understanding that the slides or butterflies in the carbs are vacuum operated instead of a cable actually holding them open. If this is case, then when you land and G-out, the force of gravity could be overtaking the air pressure keeping them open resulting in what would amount to a momentary cutting off of the throttle.

Old 11-14-2000, 11:20 AM
Range Rover

I do wheelies through 3rd gear and stoppies and jump and no problems so far. My friend can wheelie as far as he wants and no trouble. Must be something that can be fixxed on your bike

good luck
mike 01 raptor

Old 11-14-2000, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

I'd say it's the carb that runs out of gas because of gravity, I had the same kind of problem with my banshee last weekend. Climbing a steep hill and rolling down on idle. I had to let it idle for 5-10 seconds (a lot when you wanna go roostin up there) before giving it gas, otherwise, it would bog and eventually die. Strange.

Old 11-14-2000, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't think they are vacuum operated. It's an ATV and should be kept as simple and lightweight as possible.

Old 11-14-2000, 11:32 PM
Range Rover

Stoppies?
How can you guys get stoppies? I can get up on the tank and yank the front brake lever to the bar , and it dosent even think about it. My front brakes seem too spongy.
See Ya Drew

Old 11-15-2000, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Had my raptor for about 9 hours of riding so far and was jumping it about 35-40 feet over the weekend and had no problems at landing, call your dealer and see what they say.

01 blk/wht Raptor

Old 11-15-2000, 02:46 AM
Range Rover

The front brakes on my Raptor are real spongy too. I'll be putting some aftermarket brake hoses on to cure that. It's funny, I think the brakes on my Banshee had better feel than the Raptor brakes and they seem to be the same setup.
Stoppies. You want to get moving along pretty fast (like 1st gear revving pretty high). The secret is to pre-load the front suspension by grabbing the front brake then letting go. As you release the front brake bounce on the pegs to load the rear suspension and as it bounces back up grab the front brake quickly. When you get it right it feels like you are bouncing the rear up rather than just grabbing some brake. Take your time and go a little higher each time. You don't want a 400 pound quad flipping over on top of you. Ouch!!!

Old 11-15-2000, 08:48 AM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem, bleed the brake lines. there was air in mine. Once that was done the braking really came around. The spungy feel was reduced greatly, but not entirely. I plan on replacing the lines with steel braded when I put on the longer a-arms and swing arm.
Good Luck

Old 11-15-2000, 08:50 AM
Trailblazer

Check the float level in the carbs. If it is set too low, when you g-out from the landing, the floats bottom out and cut off the supply of gas.
hope that helps

Quick Reply: Raptor Problem