Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?

If you want a fast drag Raptor, call another builder [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2006, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

Ubetrun- From what i remember (haven't been here for a while ) you used to be pretty knowledgable and, helpfull. You must be slipping in your "old age" cuz attacking KENZ who is proving over and, over that he is one of the best builders (if not thee), is moronic and, immature! But, thanks for the great advice!

Old 03-23-2006, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

Yes i am saying that you will get more wheel spin initially which will help to get your motor into its power without bogging down.If you have a friend that could loan you a set of haulers i am sure you would see a drastic difference when running the same hill.Too much traction on take off can be a bad thing for power and for causing your quad to wheelie too much.I hope you get a chance to try the haulers because i would like to hear the results.You could try running more pressure in your Geckos and that would help but still the haulers will be the answer.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CaptBags
KENZ who is proving over and, over that he is one of the best builders (if not thee)
How many Barker, Craycraft, Tedder, Packard, etc. 686s have you raced? Be honest.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The geckos are definitely killing you. Throw a set of triple buffed haulers on it with a jj&a aluminum axle, marvin shaw's or fox float shocks, chromoly drag a-arms, aluminum swingarm and I can guarantee you will have a totally different animal on your hands. If your making max power out of your 686 right now then take all the power that you have and put it to the ground. Thats what I done with my little ole bolt-on DS that puts out approx 58hp. Good luck.

PS: Check out my pic page when you get a chance. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

Your exhaust is costing you a dyno-proven 4 RWHP. And your tires weight and lack of bite are drastically hurting your holeshot. Buy a set of Haulers and some Barker's or LTE's.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Once again, thanks "UBETRUN" for all the Help and, Ideas!
I don't know what builders did the bikes i've raced but in the Midwest there are no big name builders and, highly unlikely that they sent theirs to AZ or west Coast like i did. I do know this tho, i've read on here and, other places that KENZ had the fastest bikes at 4Stroke Wars. I know my bike runs pretty well over all and, i've not had a problem with it since it was built. What is wrong with that? Are you trying to tell me that other builders 686's are putting out over 100 hp and, i'd be able to beat my friends 80-100HP Banshees if i only had chosen another builder?????????

I drive a Chevy, the other guy drives a Dodge - we both think ours is better. Bottom line i=I have a pretty fast 686 Raptor for what it is!

ChoseToLoose04 - My bike makes mid to upper 60's in HP. I just don't see dumping another 2-3k on drag suspension parts into the raptor w/o making more power. I'll end up converting it to a drag strip only bike (not what i want at all) and, realy hate it. The buddies Banshees are the fastest (stock length) bikes on the Dunes, besides the full blown 6-12in entended Cheetah bikes (which they don't do bad against) - and, they've lost 0 dune/mx/anywhere riding ability!

Old 03-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Its your money. Do what you want. All Im saying is that I demolish 686's all the time with my bolt-on pig. Setup goes a long way. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CaptBags
Once again, thanks "UBETRUN" for all the Help and, Ideas!
I don't know what builders did the bikes i've raced but in the Midwest there are no big name builders and, highly unlikely that they sent theirs to AZ or west Coast like i did. I do know this tho, i've read on here and, other places that KENZ had the fastest bikes at 4Stroke Wars. I know my bike runs pretty well over all and, i've not had a problem with it since it was built. What is wrong with that? Are you trying to tell me that other builders 686's are putting out over 100 hp and, i'd be able to beat my friends 80-100HP Banshees if i only had chosen another builder?????????

I drive a Chevy, the other guy drives a Dodge - we both think ours is better. Bottom line i=I have a pretty fast 686 Raptor for what it is!

ChoseToLoose04 - My bike makes mid to upper 60's in HP. I just don't see dumping another 2-3k on drag suspension parts into the raptor w/o making more power. I'll end up converting it to a drag strip only bike (not what i want at all) and, realy hate it. The buddies Banshees are the fastest (stock length) bikes on the Dunes, besides the full blown 6-12in entended Cheetah bikes (which they don't do bad against) - and, they've lost 0 dune/mx/anywhere riding ability!

Capt, Setup is very important in making your bike faster. Choose, and several others showed us that fact. I understand you like playing in the dunes. But a few light weight parts in the rotating mass would make your bike alot quicker reving. Translating into a faster quad. Without sacrificing rideablity. I'm sure if you talk with Kenz, he will tell you the same.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you want to sell it shoot me a PM. I'm in the market for a Kenz 686. What color is the bike? How many hours etc....

If you dont want to sell, there are a few things that will make a huge diffrence. Go with 22x11x8 8 paddle haulers, change gearing to 12/42, and put at least a +4 swing arm on.(+6 would be better) And you will be blown away at the diffrence. Also a x-4 cam and Dual exhaust would make a big diffrence.

Quick Reply: What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?