Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?

I forgot the most important thing, dont listen to UBET hes a jacka$$ but I think you figured that out already.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

The Quad is a Blue 04'. It has very little hours on it - as i stated earlier in the thread! I bought it in July of 04' I rode it at the dunes maybe 5 times that year stock (and, then piped and, jetted) + putted it around a bit near the house (nowhere to ride except up and, down block). In Mar. of 05' I sent it off to KENZ for the 686 treatment. Got it back and, installed around begining of May. Got prolly 6 trips to the Dunes in over that summer and a day at a little MX/ trial riding area, it has been on the ATV jackstand under a cover since September (Labor day)!

I don't have a clue what a barely used 686 is worth, I know what i have in to it and, how good of condition it is in. If i sold it, it would end all my delimas and, decisions on what i should do next. I'd be picking up a Banshee and, be done with it. But, then i'll prolly miss it. lol

Old 03-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: inSAND
I forgot the most important thing, dont listen to UBET hes a jacka$$ but I think you figured that out already.
1st post in this thread and you are from AZ? Things that make you go Hmmmm [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Click here Klown

CaptBags - There are a lot more drag races in the USA besides FSW, all I'm suggesting is that you do some more research before being disappointed again.

FWIW, I sold my stock-rod Craycraft Racing 686 for $2100 on ebay in 2004.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im not trying to hide anything, someone already has my full name. His only disappointment is in his set-up. Stock swing arm, gearing, and geckos.

Capt. keep the bike and make those changes and you will be happy with it. Your not going to get near what you want for your 686. I've owned a couple of Banshees and your better off with a 4 stroke.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

CaptBags.You are getting a lot of good suggestions and i hope you take some of them.It sounds like you probably have a (potentially) good drag four stroke that just needs some tweaking.All of the little things that have been mentioned here can add up to a significant performance gain without costing too much.I may have already asked but what fuel do you use?

Old 03-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

inSAND - How much do you think i could get for my Quad if I decide to part with it? I know i'd take some beating on it but, I may be willing to do that to get what i want. It is not that i don't like it (in fact i know i'll miss it), it is just that i would like to compete better with my buddies Worked Banshees! And, I do admit I miss the 2 Stroke rush!

DuneItTilluDie - I run 110 octane as recommended by Kenz. I believe what i mostly get is CAM2 110 octane and that is the only 110 i can get around here. Up in Michigan at the dunes they have another brand of 110 (what everyone up there runs) not sure the brand and, i see no difference. I run Yamalube R for the oil and, prolly change it way more than neccesary.

I just hate to put a $700 +4 swingarm, chain, brakeline, sprockets, different paddles and, still get waxed - if it won't matter much. I saw the thing about saving weight with Haulers but - 5lbs or so for the paddles (Geckos on Alum. feel pretty light now!) and, put on a dual exhaust system and, add it right back is silly to me.

Maybe i really will sell it. I'll prolly not be happy unless i do. I have a brother inlaw who owns a Freight Co. and, he could ship my bike anywhere in the US for real cheap. He charged me next to nothing over all to send my whole bike on a skid to KENZ 2x different times.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

john, u took the words right out of my mouth, but i didnt have the ***** to say it.
Rudy

Old 03-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CaptBags
I run 110 octane as recommended by Kenz.

<snip>

send my whole bike on a skid to KENZ 2x different times.

110 octane is too much, I ran 105 in a 13.3:1 686. The 10.5:1 Raptors are getting best performance from 87 octane. You won't get any top end with too much octane, the fuel doesn't burn fast enough in a lower compression motor.

Did you have another build done before this one, you said that you shipped it twice?

Old 03-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

If you have a true 11.5:1 then 110 is too much as UBETRUN said.I did not want to go against what your builder told you to use but with my 12.5:1 690 straight 110 drastically reduces my performance.I mix half premium and half 110 and i get great results with no problems.I have used this combination for over a year now with many drag races in 300 feet and 600 feet WOT and it works for me.The bottom line is that you have a lot of room for improvement that you can achieve for very little money.Of course all of this information is just our opinions but some of the advice could make your Raptor perform much better .

Old 03-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 12-1 Kenz 686 and I was told to mix 50/50 with 110 and pump. Capt. may have misunderstood.

Quick Reply: What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?