Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is next in Performance Upgrades?

I have my Raptor 660 done by KENZ to 686 w/ all the goodies. It is really fast and, fun but, I think i'm near the performance limit for it and, I'm not sure what to do next to make it faster. The only thing i can think of is bigger carbs (mine are stock) but, am not sure if it will make any difference? I'd love to have a single carb that is way EZ'r to work on but most say 2 are better. Are carbs my only options besides sending it back and, going bigger on the engine size?

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated!

Old 03-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?

I got a whole list of things you could do.Ken

Old 03-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

Ken,

What do i have to do to get the "list" of things i can do? I don't want to call and, bug you when your busy.

I called a month ago about building me a Banshee motor. I was going to sell the Raptor and, build A Shee. They seem way ez'r to make fast but, with the price of a banshee and, the amount of $ i'd need to get it to compete with my buddies shee's (4mm - 100HP) 7k in a motor?,,,, I may just keep the Raptor another year. But i would like to hear the options i have to make it a little faster if possible!

I'll PM you if you want???

Old 03-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

If not one of your secrets already, with the power you should have from your other mods, try going up to a bigger sprocket size on the front. Each tooth you go up on the front you should gain anywhere from 3-5mph. Thats the only thing I can think of for more top speed.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

You cannot put a single carb on the raptor, because the right sied carb runs 2 intake valves, where the left only runs one. This causes the right side to have to be ran richer jetting, so i really don't think it can be done. Is your raptor ported and polished? If it is already bored to a 686 you could go and buy a wiseco 720 kit. It uses a 686 piston and a plus 4mm crank. It does not require the cases to be bored and is just a drop in. You could also install larger valves. If i were you i would look into a fuel injection system instead of a carb setup. I believe fcr has the best carbs for it. But they are like 800 buck. Well hope i could help. Peace.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

More top speed isn't really what i need or want. My quad is good all over the dunes but, at the strip it is lacking. I do well against all the other 4 strokes but my buddies Banshees are a hole other world. They get out a good 6-8 bikes from the hole shot on me in 300ft drags. By mid way when the front end is down and, my bike "gets out of its own way" I start to catch up a little but the race is already lost. Even some of the 450's (not sure what they are doing to em) are starting to catch up to me in races and, few can beat me given their perfect run. I'm just not sure if i need to give up on the Rappy and, go with something else but, I hate to admit that My Friends Banshees have me and, their is nothing i can do except by one myself!

I thought of a 4in ext swingarm but, it isn't only the wheelie's - it is the fact that they are blaring a roost from the snap of the clutch and, 1st gear is too short on mine, 2nd seems a bit to tall and, bogs slightly of the line or sends me straight up in the air cuz it catches instead of spins a little.

Kenz has told me that their is no way i can compete beat their "80 and, up HP" banshees in a drag but it is really hard for me to grasp that i pissed all that $ away on a usless contender! Sadly, i've went up in CC and, worked every part of the motor and, a few of them are still on stock bore and, smoke me. THIS BLOWS! I'm not even looking forward to summer!

I wouldn't mind losing a little $ by selling my bike and, getting something else but i got the feeling that I'll get murdered on it in the swap and, really be pissed! Worst of all - If my Raptor had 100 hours on it total it would be alot! 5 hours a weekend at the Dunes mulitplied by 20 trips is pushing it! Complete waste!

Sorry for the vent!

Old 03-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

My 690 raptor does very well in the drags and i run the LTE dual exhaust system.If you only run 300 feet then the LTE may not be for you but for great top end they are one of the best.I have thought about changing the carbs in my 690 but with the performance i get with the stockers i think i will leave them as is.If Kenz built your motor then their recommendations for fuel is the way to go but saying that i will add that correct octane for your compression is a huge factor in performance.I dont have first hand experience with any Kenz motors but from what i read they are building some of the fastest around.I am probably only stating the obvious but paddle tire choice is also very important.Do you use Sand Gecko paddles?If so they are not the best choice for drag racing from what i have experienced.If you do use them i am sure you could greatly improve your drag racing results with a set of haulers with the appropriate number of paddles for your conditions.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

I believe that I'm "max'd out" as far as performance work besides engine size and, carbs. My valves are larger than stock, the motor is ported and, the compression on the piston is way more than stock (as my sig states).

As far as paddles, if the Gecko's suck and, don't grip then i'm really in trouble. It FOR SURE isn't that i'm losing ground because they don't hook up and, just spin. I don't get 1/2 the wheel spinning roost that my buddies get with their haulers and, the haulers are supposedly better. They run 8, 10, 12 and, 14 paddles haulers and, get way more roost and, spin then i do out of the hole and, they are out ahead. I think the Gecko's do fine and, i've never felt like they weren't hooking or ever got stuck.

I guess if i can't bring myself to take the killing of getting out of the Raptor, losing my butt, and, starting to build a Banshee - I'll try a JTM 4in Swingarm extension and, gearing a little lower so i can leave in 2nd gear with power? I'll just have to except my stupidity and, stubborness with wanting to be different And, take my beatings like a man!!!!!!!! Unless i'm missing something and, my Raptor should be doing much better.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

I hope you take this the right way but believe me your Geckos are slowing you down in a drag.With the motor you have i would guess that you could improve you performance in a 300 foot drag race by probably at least 3 lengths by going with a eight paddle hauler.The lighter weight combined with the wheel spin that you (need)is what makes the hauler a superior tire for dragging.I ride the dunes at least 25-30 trips a year and i have yet to see a really fast quad with Geckos.Do yourself a favor and try posting about Geckos and drag racing just to get some other opinions.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

So are you saying i'll get a little less grip = more spin with the 8 pdl haulers?? That is exactly what i need! If i could get a little more spin (i've actually thought of running the stock tires to see what'd happen with a lot less grip) I know i'd do better out of the hole!!!!

Quick Reply: What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?