Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak: Just a Small Grizzly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak: Just a Small Grizzly?

It'll work on any setting......guess if you want your headlights shining the ground set at the weak setting

Old 03-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

Stiffer to support the weight of the plow and winch. I have my front set one stiffer than stock and leaving my rear in stock setting and it works well.

Old 03-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Trailblazer

I JUST WENT THROUGH THE SAME DELEMA, I BOUGHT THE GRIZZLY, GREAT MACHINE, I HAVE A FRIEND WITH THE KODIAK, ANOTHER GREAT MACHINE AND NOW THEY HAVE IRS, CAN'T GO WRONG WITH EITHER ONE, I PREFER THE POWER OF THE GRIZ, I'M 6-1 215 AND PLAN ON HAULING OUT A 200 # BUCK THROUGH TOUGH TERRAIN. HONDA MAKES A GOOD MACHINE, RICON TO LITTLE POWER AND TOWING CAPABILITIES, EVEN THE DEALER TOLD ME NOT TO BUY THE RICON TO WORK WITH, POLARIS, TO HEAVY, AND READ THEIR FORUM, EVERY ONES LOOKING FOR HELP FIXING THEM. I ROAD ONE 700 SPORTSMAN AND MY OPINION WAS TOO SLUGGISH, HEAVY, AND HARD ON THE BODY. I COULDN'T EVEN SPIN THE THING AROUND IN A CIRCLE WITHOUT IT ALMOST TIPPING OVER, THOSE BIG BEEFY TIRES GRIP WELL BUT THE ENGINE DIDNT HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO SPIN THE *** END AROUND. THEN ONE OF THE FRONT TIRES POPPED OFF THE RIM!!! (( GRIZZLY, YOU WON'T BE SORRY ))

Old 03-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer

I must decide by tomorrow to get the free2.5 Warn Winch offer. Thanks for the recommendation Camo660.

Right now I am leaning towards the Grizzly. $6200.00 Kodiak $5500.00 Price of ATV no taxes, no license fees.

Ron

Old 03-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

I just bought a new sportsman 700 and I will have to disagree with you camo660. It has plenty of power to spen them tires if you really try. You see the sportsman get great traction and in my opinion thats what you need when you are halling a 200lb + deer out of the deep muddy woods. In fact it has so much power that I can pull the front in strait up in the air at 20mph and that impressive for an ATV that waighs in at almost 700lbs dry. I had a friend that drove a grizzly and the sportsman 700 EFI will blow it away and is a smoother ride. If you drove a 700 that was sluggish with no power them somthing was very wrong with it.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just sold my 2003 Kodiak and bought a new Grizzly. The only real reason is the fun factor of a bigger engine. As far as power goes the Kodiak had plenty to haul out any animal you want and plow with ease. I got a moose a couple of years ago and had the Kodiak loaded with 2 hind quarters, one front quarter, head and horns, my wife (130#), my buddy (250#) and myself (220#) all on at once. Now the rims were almost on the ground and I've had problems with one tire leaking ever since. But the Kodiak hauled everything with ease up some pretty rough trails to get it out. I was in 4X4 low gear and we did have to get off a lot to keep it from tipping over but going up the long steep hills was a piece of cake. More than enough power for work. Get the Griz if you want the extra power just for fun.

Old 03-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Trailblazer

OUT OF ALL FAIRNESS RUTT, POLARIS IS MAKING A BETTER ATV EVERY YEAR, STILL A BIT HEAVY, 750 I BELIEVE ON THE 700, THIER MARKETING STRATEGY WAS A GOOD ONE ATTRACTING PEOPLE BY PUTTING BIG KNOBBY TIRES, THATS WHAT CATCHED THE EYE. BUT I'M BEING AN HONEST CRITIC. I DROVE EM BOTH AND THAT WAS MY OPINION, SOME MAY PREFER THE 700 OVER THE GRIZ, AND AFTER YOU'VE COME ACCUSTOM TO THE MACHINE YOU'LL PROBABLY ENJOY IT JUST AS MUCH AS A GRIZ OWNER. BUT MY ADVISE TO ANYONE THAT HAS A CHOICE BETWEEN THE TWO, (( GRIZZLY))

Old 03-30-2006, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

My kodiak has more than enuff power and speed. I ride in mostly wooded trails so actually the smaller footprint of the kodiak benifits me where I can go between tighter trees and turn sharper. All benifits in my book. Hey camo660 you might want to try to write your messages without all caps as it makes it hard to read and usually means your shouting in computer talk. Just a suggestion...

Old 03-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Trailblazer

WindmillAtWork: Good point about the smaller footprint of the 450 vs. the 660. That and the better fuel economy of the 450 are the only 2 things that I am still trying to decide on. The oil consumption and overheating issues are moot now from what I've read on this forum and others.

So, I must decide if I want power or economy and smaller footprint.

Thanks for all the helpful replies from all. It has narrowed down my decision to only 2 questions.

Ron

Old 04-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer

I purchased a '06 Grizzly for $6200.00 (not including taxes, license, and title).

Thank all of you for your suggestions.

Ron

Quick Reply: Kodiak: Just a Small Grizzly?