660 big bore kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 05:33 PM
xc5
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 660 big bore kits

I just bought a 06 660 Rhino SE.
After about 80 miles now I have come to the conclusion tha I need more HP!
I want a mild mannered engine that will run when I want it to. I still want to play in the mud bogs.
Only changes so far are ITP 589 (27x9x12, 27x11x12)
I have talked to Hauck about their 800cc kit. They claim 65 hp before pipe, intake, and CDI, changes.
Assuming once I do the pipe intakes and cdi changes I could have an honest 70 hp the ol Rhino should do what I wanted it to do stock!
Has anyone put this Hauck kit on thier Rhino, grizzy, raptor?
Thanks xc5

Old 03-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer

never heard of them, but ur gonna dump a butt load of cash in that thing with that, u might try a CDI a pipe and k&n and jet kit that will boost power way up, the 660 is a stout motor when opened up, outherwise ur gonna work on it more than u ride it

Old 03-24-2006, 08:00 PM
xc5
Weekend Warrior

If you haven't heard of Hauck Power sports here is a link to their web site. Hauck Power Sports
They have been making some of the fastest Yamaha sleds on the planet! They do know how to make honest reliable horse power. NO, it is NOT cheap. But is anyone else claiming over 70 HP on 88 octane gas? (the over 70 hp claim is after pipe and intake changes, just their 800cc big bore kit is 65 hp) Most of the other big bore kits out there that are making close to 60 hp are full out race engines. I have a 05 YFZ450 with all the intake changes (K&N, jetted, airbox mod) Cam gear change, Dr. D full exhaust system, Hoteshot XTC's and there isn't many 660's that will hang with it around here. ( i am sure some there are guy who have faster 660 them my slightly modded YFZ. Now my YFZ is making close to 45 hp and weighs roughly 350 pounds, the Rhino makes like 36 hp and weighs 1000 pounds. IT NEEDS HELP for the type of riding I do, and the pipe, intake and CDI gain about 10hp.
For those of you that are running other big bore kits I'm sure there are good ones out there but I don't want a high strung engine in my Rhino.

For the link to the kit; 800cc Big bore kit

Old 03-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

A Rhino is a Raptor motor with a different head, no way they are getting 70 HP on pump gas for $2600.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:47 PM
xc5
Weekend Warrior

Why would you question the HP claims.
First off if you read my post clearly they only claim 65 HP. The 70 HP is mine conservitily after adding intake and exhaust mods.
Even if everything stayed the same the 800cc kit is 20% bigger so one could assume there should be a 20% HP gain (putting the 'stock' HP with an 800cc engine in the mid 40's with just CC increase) Now they port the head, install bigger valves, stroke it, resleave it, cam it, and all this can't pick up 15 or 20 more HP? Heck there are smaller CC big bore kits for our 660s that claim even more HP. What exactly are those guys doing to make even more HP with a smaller engine that doesn't take case mods to achieve this or more HP! We all know the 660 responds well to mods.
BTY $2600 gets you the 65HP it takes another $600 to reach over 70HP.
It'll be kind of funny to see 1000 pound Rhinos beating stock 660's in drag races.
xc5

Old 03-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if everything stayed the same the 800cc kit is 20% bigger so one could assume there should be a 20% HP gain (putting the 'stock' HP with an 800cc engine in the mid 40's with just CC increase)
I'm sorry but I just have to laugh at that, thinking that there is anything close to a linear relationship between hp and displacement is ridiculous.

UBET is certainly justified to question their claims, I would as well. I can imagine there would be some good torque with that kind of build which is actually what you want for this application. But, you wont get that kind of hp without sacraficing driveability and ending up with a high strung engine as you mentioned earlier. Those extra steps to increase hp can actually have a detrimental effect on torque output as well.

You need to be concerned about clutch kits, whether you do any engine work or not. Your tires are robbing a lot of power and you need to adjust the driveline accordingly.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

dang!

I could double my power! I am thinking on ordering this but I would order the CDI, Clutch work, and pipes too!

damm I wanna get this on and go racing and mudding hahahaha

Sleeper Grizz GRRR

Old 03-27-2006, 12:17 AM
xc5
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: maddog56
Even if everything stayed the same the 800cc kit is 20% bigger so one could assume there should be a 20% HP gain (putting the 'stock' HP with an 800cc engine in the mid 40's with just CC increase)
I'm sorry but I just have to laugh at that, thinking that there is anything close to a linear relationship between hp and displacement is ridiculous.

AHH OK! It was to be used as an example!

I have been racing snowmachines for the last 15 years so I kind of (used sarcasticly here) understand about clutches. I don't care how good your clutch kit is If you only have 36 HP to move 1000+ pounds the thing is going to be a turd if you are used to riding something with 120+ HP moving less then 500 pounds. For my needs, my rhino needs more power now and better suspension, later. To say I was dissapointed in the power to weight ratio would be a hugh understatement. If I were to go through the list of toys I have bought over the years one would see the rhino was very out of charactor for me. (based on performance alone) But it was cheaper to buy it vs 2 four wheelers as I would have put basicly the same amount of extra money into high performance parts on one of the four wheelers as the rhino and spent twice as much money on tires, wheels, exhaust, intake, winches, and misc gear for each of the four wheelers. That being said please don't try and say I should have done my rescearch before I bought as I did and I have found that some peoples opinion of "enough power" is vastly different from mine.

Buying something brand new and sinking money into it to make it fit my needs isn't new to me, I guess that's what I like to do. MOst recent projects;
In fall of 04, I bought an 05 Ski-doo MXZx; for $9000 put close to $3000 more into it before it ever saw snow (and $0 was causmetic as I like the 'stock' look of things)
In spring of 05 I bought 05 YFX450; put over $2000 into it before the second tank of fuel. (couldn't stand the fact the my '88 FL500 (quadzilla) (I bought brand new back in '88 by the way) was faster then and had more power (it is pushing 65HP after mods vs YFZ 39HP stock) then this new yfz that is called one of the baddest quads of all time. Yes the YFZ is a MUCH better ride but sheer power the YFZ just doesn't compare while in stock trim.
05 Denali; (tow vehical) Pushing 400 HP with in 2 weeks picking it up after it came in. (couldn't stand the damn 107 mph limiter) And the stock 20's robbed power.
06 Convertible Mustang; Currently, looking for a blower package because the stang can't keep up with the car it replaced, '96 R/T TT Stealth (lol YES with mods to the twin turbo Stealth to be over 420 hp, but it just hit 100K and needed to be replaced, and yes the Mustang is the "GT" that would have been kind of a silly question)
Please don't take that as I'm trying to brag as I'm NOT is just an example of I'm used to HP in everything I own. I guess it all started when I was a 22 year old kid and paid cash for the quickest production vehical ever sold an '86 GSXr 1100. And rode it hard and lived to tell about it. (Yes, I still have it, and NO it's NOT for sale)
Now back to making more HP with the Rhino!........
xc5

Old 03-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

Well xc5, seems like you have done it all. But the fact remains its still a heavy utility quad and nothing is going to change that. If you want more power then just add a nitrous oxide kit and you will have power when you want it.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:36 AM
xc5
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Ernie660R
Well xc5, seems like you have done it all.

Why would you say something stupid like this? When all I have done is ask for some info on ANY 660 big bore kits for my Rhino. Yes I have improved the performance on almost every vehical I have owned for the last 20 plus years! I guess one of my faults was I gave a few examples of them, BIG DEAL!

Originally posted by: Ernie660R
But the fact remains its still a heavy utility quad and nothing is going to change that. If you want more power then just add a nitrous oxide kit and you will have power when you want it.
I'll take mechanical HP over the bottle 100% of the time! Yes Nitrous works well on many applications, I just don't favor it.
Thanks for the help, it'll come in real handy on the trail.
xc5

Quick Reply: 660 big bore kits