Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warrior rebuild

If i got performance warrior a-arms could i put stock yfz shocks on it??

Old 03-27-2006, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

Which one of these would be the most ideal for me to use, is this even what i need? http://www.quadpartsguy.com/YamahaWarrior.html
and then if that is the a-arms i need, will these shocks be a good addition to those?
http://www.goldenwestcycle.com/produ...&deptcode1=521

And with those what shock and valving and stuff do i want? I do trail/track riding. Im sorry if im a pest.

Old 03-27-2006, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

Old 03-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

An aftermarket rappy shock will be more expensive than the warrior aftermarket shock. If you decide to spend the extra money for an aftermarket shock then get one specifically made for the warrior.

No matter what kind of a-arms you have YFZ shocks will make the front end sit higher, and put more stress on the ball joints, with the exception of a custom made set from HSD racing, but you're talking big $$$ for that.

The link to the elka shocks you posted are the ones I was suggesting, wait until you know what you're doing for a-arms before you order the shocks, because a shock valved for stock a-arms will be way off from a shock valved for a +2 arm set.

I think even asr's cheapest +2 arms would be suitable for most riding, the higher priced ones mainly just offer more adjustability, which isn't a big deal for most people.
asr +2 arms
that set will be about $355 shipped, depending on your location, that's the best deal you'll find on aftermarket arms anywhere.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

Ok so im going to order the asr a-arms, what do i do with the valving with the elkas?

ONE last question lol. What do you suggest aftermarket warrior rear shock or stock 2001 rappy rear shock?
thankss

Old 03-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

I think you will be happy with the raptor 660 rear shock, so far i've heard only good things about it, other than the rear end sitting a few inches higher. A works rear shock for the warrior would be better, but you'll be spending 5 times as much on it.

Obviously set the rider weight to your own weight (I don't know how old you are, if you're still growing you might want to go up a weight level so you don't outgrow the shocks). What kind of riding do you do most of the time? Cross Country (XC) is best for trail riding, mx is better for racing and jumps.

The way they are listing the shock types is confusing to me, they descriptions aren't very good. The thing i'm concerned about is that they don't specify which ones are rear shocks, or if any are rears. I don't like taking guesses, so i'll look into it some more before I tell you for sure which ones you should order.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

I just found a thing on Elka's website that helps you choose which shock to order here

Fill in the info the best you can, and when they respond, reply to the email and ask them about getting it valved different for extended a-arms.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

Thank you so much for the website! but! speedy2222 says that 2002 raptor 660 shocks will bolt directly onto the warrior! i think i may do this, but the all american racing a-arms say that stock suspension will break, and i need better suspension, so if i got hte 600 suspension would it be good enough? This is the direct quote

" 1. The addition of wider A-Arms creates additional leverage on the stock shocks. This of course makes the shock much softer and also overworks the shock. Overworking the shock will overheat it and also break down the oil inside it, rendering it useless. With the bike being softer it will bottom the suspension more frequently and eventually break the shock or bend the A-Arm. Or even worse hurt you! "

So could i use 660r shocks without .. Damage? RECON99 and SPEEDY2222 One day I will Somehow help you as much as you help me!! THANKS!!

Old 03-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

There's different opinions on this. The raptor front shocks are longer, so your front end will sit higher, and become narrower and tippier. It also puts excessive stress on your ball joints because the longer shocks are forcing them to travel more than they were designed to.

If you want to do it right, get aftermarket arms and shocks. You wanted to make it wider, right? If you get the a-arms to widen it you might as well spend the extra money and get a complete aftermarket setup, it'll work much better than the 660 shocks, and you won't be risking breakage.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

Lol ok this is my LAST question. My warrior burns a lot of oil and smokes a lot. What do i need to do to rebuild it or whatever? can anyone lead me to a site or something that i can get what i need??

Quick Reply: warrior rebuild