Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why don't they make bigger cc qauds??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why don't they make bigger cc qauds??

They make snowmobiles that rip your arms off and do 110 miles an hour stock.They take off like crock rockets.So whats the problem?Make a quad that will do the same .Anyone can go buy a snowmobile.Just give it time and you will see a r1 motor in the raptor.60 foot roosts.I like it.You could have a different age bracket for 800cc or bigger.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATVs are not made for the kinds of speed that kind of power would allow. They can be unstable at top speed as it is. Quads run trails that are decidedly tighter and shorter than sleds do, most atv trails do not span the hundreds of miles that sled trails do. And atvs do not run on the road in the vast majority of areas of the US, some sparsely populated states excluded. There's no need for a 120mph, 80hp atv in stock form. Honestly, there's very few places you can run an atv like that anyway.

Anyone else remember when the biggest four stroke sport quad was the warrior, or how about the 250 thumpers before? Four strokes cant make that much power and stay light weight and reliable in an atv anyway, even if the riding areas would allow it. They are evolving at a very rapid pace, just be patient. Utility atvs are approaching some pretty insane limits as it is now.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: quadbart

First of all, 160 mph on a quad is on our doorstep. Im almost there now.
My Rappy sports a turbo gsxr1000 motor putting out right around 200/230 HP, so Ive got the HP and gearing to do it, but the chassis's not ready for those speeds. But were getting close.

Second, Yea, Rc and those guys along with 99.99% of the world doesnt need that much HP but us duners and drag racers want all we can get.

Third . Adding cylinders does add some weight BUT I'll take that weight as the trade for more HP
A stock Rappy motor weighs in at 110-120 lbs and makes 35 hp
A stock gsxr motor weighs in at 160 and makes 150 HP
Size is the bigger hinderance, not weight.

And its obvious that youve never owned a 4 cyl motor because to make a statement like " A 4 cyl motor wont rev as fast as a single cyl motor". Well, thats just CRAZY. Any 4 cyl motor from anyone of todays sport bikes will out rev any single cyl motor on the market today.
Step out of the dark ages and open your eyes. The future is here.

my bike 1 pic

my bike pic 2

Oh yeah, hey "Dream machine" send me a very large check and I'll build you whatever size Raptor you want. All it takes is $$$$$$
Any quad capable of 160 mph is WORTHLESS for anything else. Do you even read the words or just start posting? It is obvious you don't read because I said unless you add more cylinders, IE MAKE IT A FOUR FROM THE CURRENT TWINS, it will not rev as fast. I am out of the dark ages, just open your own eyes and read the words on the screen! You think you are the only one to touch a sportbike engine?

I just can't get over the fact I said "As engine size increases so does weight, & unless you add a ton of cylinders (4) it will not rev as fast as a smaller engine due to the heavier componets."

And you QUOTE me as saying " A 4 cyl motor wont rev as fast as a single cyl motor". YOUR MAKING CRAP UP READ THE POSTS!

Old 04-04-2006, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

BTW since you say it is "obvious" I never had a 4 cylinder engine, do some reasearch on "CBF2" my screen name. Here is a hint: start at http://powersports.honda.com

Old 04-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

its the government holding us down. in this retarded dnr rule book it states that an atv must not exceed 800cc's.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Technically there is no law saying you cant have a quad bigger then 800cc....but once you do it is considerd and OHV and have a whole different set of standards...The 799cc limit is a gentlmens agreement for the time being. Also as stated above, the reason in which they do not competly open up these quads is for liabilty. Sure you see some 'shee's doing 100mph+ but they are in the dunes...and the people who have them KNOW how to drive it...because chances are they built it and they know its capabilities. The ATV industry already has a bad rap. By giving them more power, you will see injuries increase, and the land more tore up then what they already do.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

Build a quad with a rotax 800 motor. I believe they are in the 150-160hp range and can be built for more. I've heard of people using sled motors with harley transmissions.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
ATVs are not made for the kinds of speed that kind of power would allow. They can be unstable at top speed as it is. Quads run trails that are decidedly tighter and shorter than sleds do, most atv trails do not span the hundreds of miles that sled trails do. And atvs do not run on the road in the vast majority of areas of the US, some sparsely populated states excluded. There's no need for a 120mph, 80hp atv in stock form. Honestly, there's very few places you can run an atv like that anyway.

Anyone else remember when the biggest four stroke sport quad was the warrior, or how about the 250 thumpers before? Four strokes cant make that much power and stay light weight and reliable in an atv anyway, even if the riding areas would allow it. They are evolving at a very rapid pace, just be patient. Utility atvs are approaching some pretty insane limits as it is now.
Ever hear of drag racing???LOL

Old 04-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: squeege
How about they want us to spend alot of $$$ on aftermarket parts in order to get the quad we really want. Some companies like honda even sell the hop up kits after you drop the first $6000-$7000. Don't feed me the liability issue BS cause there are alot of other factory superfast things being sold.
The liability issue is NOT BS. It is real. Sure there are lots of other fast things from factories. But those things weren't almost ended as an industry 20 years ago due to bad press from a media attack. the ATV industry is luck to even be around, and there's no sense pushing the limits and maybe getting a permanent ban this time.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

Why hasn't NOS been attacked then....ATVs were almost banned because of such things as bad handling 3-wheelers.....guess it's OK to ride a half ton bull thats pissed off , but not a 150hp quad....seems to me both could get you killed....if you don't like it then don't ride it!

Quick Reply: Why don't they make bigger cc qauds??