Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'03 450 kodiak power loss/belt?? Clutch Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 450 kodiak power loss/belt?? Clutch Maintenance

this has happened to my 03' as well, it has about 2300 miles on it.
at first i got 54 on the speedo, when i got my tires i got 52, now i am lucky to hit 48
kinda frustrating when everyone has a big bore nowadays
anywho, my kodiak has been running like $h!t lately, whenever i hit a small jump or wheelie through woops, it spits, sputters, and backfires for a few seconds.....i am not too familiar with carbs, but i think i may have some dirt in there or something, can somebody please help? thanks, 450kodman

Old 04-21-2006, 05:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ned---There is actually a town named Northport. It is on the eastern edge of WA state. It is basically below Trail, Rossland, Castlegar BC.

450kodman--I would look at the float in the carbs. Does it spit and sputter on flat smooth ground or just when you're jumpin' around?

Old 04-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: flitmeister
Ned---There is actually a town named Northport. It is on the eastern edge of WA state. It is basically below Trail, Rossland, Castlegar BC.
OOHH! The Kootenays...where the US paramilitary groups train to overthrow your gov't! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] lotsa mtns in there! I know some guys up that way that like to go quadding to find old mines. nice area tho.

hey kodman, I'm wondering if MAYBE you could have some water or crud in the bottom of your tank. when you jump, etc.., perhaps it splashes the crud in the tank up to the upper petcock tube and sucks into the carb??? I had that on a Honda once. It was especially noticeable when I ran on reserve and the lower petcock tube was sucking gas from the bottom of the tank (where water and crud like to collect). try running low to reserve and beyond, and see what happens. it would aslo be a good time to reomve and clean your tank when fuel is that low. you can also loosen the drain screw on your carb to let out any crud that might be in the bottom of carb (like a drop of water, etc..).

Old 04-22-2006, 01:47 AM
Range Rover

Tue April 18, 2006 12:14 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: thor440
I had the same problem with power loss on my grizzly. However, it happened when I took it in for valve adjustment that I didn't think It needed in the first place. Before it went into the shop it ran 61-63 without going downhill on a long run. Now, it may hit 57-58. I told the shop this and they basically blew me off.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thor, I can't see valve adjust affecting power. it's really a valve LASH adjustment. AND...like you indicated... I bet most of those initial "adjustments" don't require ANY adjustment AT ALL. I think they check the lash, see it's in spec, and just put it all back together but charge ya full pop. If it's not out of spec, why would they ever adjust it??

I haven't adjusted the valves on this quad myself, but I've done it to every other quad we own, and it's not that difficult, other than getting access to the valve covers, and timing mark.

Valve adjustments not effecting power? I beg to differ. I took my 400 to glamis and it couldn't make it up some hills, when other stock 400's were, pretty bummed out after a cross country trip. Got valves adjusted when I got back and it was different 4-wheeler.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:32 AM
Pro Rider

well if you noticed that much difference I won't argue the point, cuz I don't profess to be right, or to know all. but the biggest thing I've noticed on valve adjustments is starting issues (won't start when intake valve is too tight). exhaust valve usually seems to still be in spec. I just didn't notice changes in my performance, but maybe it was there and I never pushed it hard enough to find out or see a difference.

BTW, took apart secondary and checked my spring. it was slightly LONGER than the longest spec (4.78"). so it's like new. but what a hassle compressing it and getting nut started. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 04-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

thanks flitmeister and nedflanders for the advice, yeah it only happens when i am jumpin around, no problems on flat ground, even at WOL
maybe i'll get some time next weekend to tear it apart and drain the tank
450kodman

Old 04-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

Now I am wondering if I'm having the top speed issue or if My speedomoter needs calibrated. While riding the other day on a straight stretch I found my Koiak doing 51MPH according to my speedo. However my friend was directly beside me on a stock Foreman and his speedo read 58MPH. Does the bigger tires I have (25 Mudlite XL's) change my mph and if so how can this be corrected?
Buck

Old 04-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

I think the Foreman speedo is lying. My cousin's Foreman couldn't keep up with my top speed of 55MPH. Stock tire size is 25", so I can't see that affecting your speedo. even wider tire won't change speedo; it's the larger diameter/circumfrence that will change speedo reading.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

I was figuring the 25" XL's to be a little bigger diameter due to the 1 1/8" lugs compared to the stock (maybe 1/2").
Buck

Old 04-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

I see what you mean, but that 1/2" would be less than 2%, and at 50MPH, it should only throw it off by 1-2 MPH, TOPS.

Quick Reply: '03 450 kodiak power loss/belt?? Clutch Maintenance