Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Couple of Stock Blaster Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of Stock Blaster Questions

I know this may seem like a stupid question but I can't find this information ANYWHERE. Does the blaster have reverse? Also how does the blaster compare to utility fourwheelers for climbing? I mainly am going to be using this for climbing with 4x4's utility fourwheelers such as a 2005 honda 350 4x4. I just dont like all of the weight to be climbing with just in case it rolls. Also is the blaster is easy to learn how to work a clutch? I have driven semi-automatics with no clutch and can drive them perfectly. I am just not sure about working a clutch, but I am wanting to learn how. That is part of the reason for wanting a Blaster. Also how does the blaster do as far as stability? I mean does it like to roll? Thanks a lot. I am not new to this sport but my parents are breaking down and finally getting me my own machine so I dont have to use theirs. Thanks!

Old 04-07-2006, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't have a blaster but one of my friends has one and they don't have reverse, and they are very tippy (they like to roll). They are not the easist to learn how to use a clutch. And for climbing i can't tell you. But if you are going to be riding the trails i think you are gona want reverse, it REALLY nice to have.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

My blaster is not really "tippy" I have to do like a 180 in about a 10 feey wide turn in 3rd to get it to come up on 2 wheels without trying but trying I can easily get it on two wheels ( the same side). I can climb high and steep hills its mostly momentum. Without that it hard to climb on a blaster like from a stop but That is like 60* though. like 40* you can stop and start again easily dirt sand or dirt/ rocks. It dont have reverse and for where I ride that suxz but it light and I can easily pick it up and move it or what I normally do is just turn the wheels and gun it and stay on the gas untill the rear is done a 180.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hillclimbing is really dependent on rider skill, but no, a blaster won't be nearly as good at hillclimbs as a utility. It's light in the front end with a short swingarm so it will want to roll over backwards, it has much less torque, and it only has 2 wheel drive so there's less traction. It's not the easiest quad to learn the clutch on because 2 strokes need to be revved up and are easier to stall than a 4 stroke. Blasters aren't real stable from the factory, becasue like almost every other yamaha they come too narrow.

A warrior would be a better machine for you I think. The have more weight in the front, a longer swingarm, gobs of torque, and the clutch is very easy to use.

A nice trick with warriors is that you can flip the wheels to make them 4 inches wider and more stable, it invloves slightly modifiying the front wheels, but it only cost me $20 to get it done at a shop.

Old 04-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Then a blaster will not work for me. My hill climbing is not even close to testing utility vehicles capabilities. It is usually just a hill that is not too steep with lose rocks. I think I could handle a blaster on them. Also as far as buying one used what should I look for that would be wrong? I found a 1994 for $1000. It kind of looks ragged out in the picture. What do yal think?

Old 04-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

You might want to look at a Honda 250EX they don' t have a clutch but i had one and i took that every where, mudding, climbing, and they were kinda fast. Or you might want to look at a warrior, they have a clutch. Or a 300EX or Raptor 350 they are both nice. And as for the 1994 you might want to get a newer one just to be on the safe side. If you do get a used one make sure that it is in good or great condition.

Old 04-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd never buy a quad that looks all beat up and ragged, especially for $1000. Maintainance is a big problem with blasters, becuase usually they're ridden and beat up by young riders that don't know what the word "maintainance" means. The condition tells you a lot about how it was treated and maintained, and if it's trashed chances are you're going to have all kinds of reliablity problems. Usually you can get warriors for about $1500 that are about 10 years old and in good shape, they're just as fast as a blaster, more relaible, and better for hillclimbing too I think that's your best bet if you don't want to spend a lot of money.