Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Oil Pump Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Oil Pump Issue

So What does it mean when your raptor stops pumping oil to the top of the cam. FYI i have oil.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

Do you have pressure to the filter? Take it off and see and see if it squirts. Loosen the return line to the oil tank and see if it squirts.

If no pressure, then you have a broken or stripped oil pump gear. This is caused by debris in the crankcase. Most likely from the transmission. Been there, done that, blew the motor. (Buddies raptor)

Better send it to that trailer park in Texas.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

yeah i removed the oil filter and its not pumping any oil out. do i need to split the cases to replace the oil pump gear?

Old 04-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Take the clutch case cover off. The oil pump is half way covered by the clutch basket. Remove the clutch basket. There is a plastic gear on the back of the basket that turns the plastic oil pump gear. Check em both. Pull out the pump. Check for any debris in the oil holes. You can also pull the pump apart to check for debris and wear marks inside the pump. I'd also drain the oil tank and clean the screen on the hose coming out the bottom of the tank. Remove that line and clean it. My guess is you won't like what you see inside the clutch case cover. If there was stuff floating around in there and damged the gear on the pump or clogged the screens and lines, you'll see alot of metal shavings when you remove the clutch side cover.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

There IS debris in your crank case. The oil pump gear failure is just the symptom of the real problem.

Was your transmission shifting OK? Many times, the problem is the 2nd gear dog breaks off and gets wedged in your plastic oil pump gear...even on an 02 trans.

If you fix the pump gear and don't find what caused it to strip, chances are it will happen again.

You may not know it while riding, just some loss of power. When you shut the motor down to take a break, it will just seize up. This happened to a buddy of mine a couple months ago.

If you want to make sure it's right, you should have someone that knows that motor good to go thru the low end and check everything. I had Craycraft do mine and he was very reasonably priced.

Get out your credit card. Good luck!

Old 04-14-2006, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

see after that issue with my bike just stopped running and the valves we to tight. i was noticing that theri was oil in the top of the cam but not a lot, so i turned the bike on and decided to see if it was pumping oil, it wasnt, so then i pulled the oil filter off to see if it was getting oil...it wasnt. bike runs great, and shifts just fine, and their was some debris in my case. but then again their has ALWAYS been debris floating around...lol. ever since 2001 when i bought it. but still runs great, starts fine, and shifts no problem.

Old 04-15-2006, 06:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
I'm Short and Very Ugly.....

Pull the screen in the bottom of your oil tank........I'll bet you'll find your problem there.

I have an 01, I torched the clutch, after replacing the clutch my oil pressure was REAL LOW (but i had some oil pressure) I finally check that screen, it was almost plugged. I cleaned it, WALLA great oil pressure again.........

If your oil pump DIDN'T work, your motor would have seized by now........