Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

mud tires and silver paint on warrior

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mud tires and silver paint on warrior

I recently purchased a 98 yamaha warrior off a co-worker. It's my first quad, so I'm trying to get some help here with a few questions.

I currently have ITP holeshots on the back. I ride with one of my friends who has a 2wd Eiger with Mud Lites. I get stuck all the time with the holeshots where he just plows through without a problem. Where I ride has a lot of loose dirt and a lot of mud. I was considering replacing the rear tires with something like Mud Lite. Can I really do this with a warrior? I noticed those tires seem to be more geared for utility quads and not sport quads. I was also considering Maxxis All Trak tires, which seem toward the more sporty side of the trail tires.

Also, one of my front A arms and the foot pegs seem to have some rust on them. I wanted to sand down the rust and repaint those areas...but I wasn't sure what silver paint to use. Does anyone know that?

Thanks for any help!

Old 04-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer

For the paint ,i d go with a couple coats of rustoleum. As for the tires, i just bought a set of mudlites and am very impressed. Although i don t think u want them on a warrior. You would probaly lose alot of power if you could even get them to fit.I ride a popo sportsman 500 and personally if you want to go muddin the warrior is not really a mud machine.I think the smallest mudlite is a 25". Just my opinon, maybe someone else can chime in with more info

Old 04-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

What about a Maxxis Sur Trak? I found those in the correct size for my quad...I'm just worried about the loss of performance, like you mentioned. They will fit, but I'm not sure how many people actually use them on a quad like a warrior...

Old 04-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Years ago I ran Super Swamper TSL's on my Warrior. I loved them for trail riding! Anywhere the ground was a little loose, they would hook up and go. They didn't work to good on hard packed ground like mx tracks. I ran 22" rears but they were short for 22's. At the time, a friend of mine also ran Blackwaters on his Warrior and really liked them. I never noticed any power lose, I could hang with other Warriors that had sport tires on them.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yamaha's factory color-matching silver paint is something nuttly like $30/can, but I found an alternative that matches the factory paint pretty closely. I use high temp silver spray paint from ACE Hardware. When it dries it won't match the factory silver, it will look more like polished aluminum, but if you rub over the paint after it dries a silver powder will rub off the surface, and what's left after you rub it all off is a near-perfect match with the factory silver. It might work with other brands/types of silver spray paint, but the ACE High Temperature was the best match i've found so far, and seems pretty durable.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

my friend has mud tires on his warrior i think they are actually maxxis surtrac and i dont notice a difference in power and its great in mud get 22/11/9 size and you should be fine. Good luck with your new quad, warriors are great trail bikes and can go anywhere.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I put 22X11X9 mudlites on my warrior and they work great! They are light and durable and do good in all conditions. They are a wee bit hard to slide but thats not what they were designed for.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Range Rover

i put kenda bear claws on my 2000 warrior 22-12-9 rears 22-8-10 up front and let me tell you these are great tires she goes anywhere i want her to! not a real pure mud tire more of a all terrain i would say i got mudlites on my bruin work really nice but i noticed they wear down fast maybe its me because i ride on pavement alot but the bear claws have not worn down at all i went with a 12 tooth front sprocket uni filter and hmf slip on and she turns them just fine, put bear claws on her you will like the results just my 2 cents, enjoy your warrior i sure do!