Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor keeps starting with key off

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor keeps starting with key off

Did you hook the cable back up to the starter? I had you take it off and tape it up when we were troubleshooting.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Range Rover

Yeah everything is connected properly, And the sound it make is more like a buzzing sound than a clicking sound like I said previosly.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The buzzing could mean 3 things I can think of.

1. Your cable between the solenoid and starter is shorted out on a ground somewhere. Check your cable's condition and the routing, and that it's not grounding out on the starter body.

2. Your battery is low, try jump starting it with another small engine 12 volt vehile, like a tractor, motorcycle, or other atv.

3. You have a loose or dirty connection somewhere in the cables, and there's not enough current flowing. Check your battery terminals, solenoid terminals, starter terminal, and grounds. Every connection should have clean and shiny mating surfaces, and should be good and snug, but be careful about overtightening or you can break something.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:11 AM
Range Rover

Well I have tried everything, I cleaned all of the mating surfaces with a wire brush (even though they werent that dirty), I even tried switching out the positive and negative battery cables with some of my 4 gauge amplifier power wire, which is just as big as the cables before. And still get the same buzzing sound. What do I do from here? I am going to leave the battery on the charger all night and see what happens.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:31 AM
Pro Rider

take the starter off and test it while its off the motor.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, try connecting the starter directly to a known good battery and see if it works, also you can take your battery to an auto parts store, and they can load test it for you, to tell you if it's good or if it needs charged or replaced.

Old 05-04-2006, 05:30 PM
Range Rover

Would it ruin my battery if the negative wire was grounding out on my airbox which is aluminum? i think.

Old 05-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Negative wouldn't matter, the negative cable goes straight to ground anyways. Now if the positive wire was grounding out on your aluminum airbox... fireworks!

Old 05-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Range Rover

I just took my battery to auto zone and it was bad, it read 12 volts but as soon as they put a load on it the voltage dropped down to 3 volts in like 2 seconds. I bought a new baterry and hooked it up and the buzzing sound is gone. But now when I press the starter button the relay just clicks once. How exactly do I test the starter there is only the negative hookup on the starter body. This thing is really starting to **** me off.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:40 AM
Range Rover

I took the starter of and hooked it up to a jumper and it spun like no other, also while I had it off I took it apart and cleaned it with brake cleaner. So, I am starting to think that my problem is not in my battery (brand new today), my solenoid (brand new a few days ago), my starter, or any conections between any of the following. Now, how in the world am I still having problems?

Quick Reply: raptor keeps starting with key off