Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Weird High Speed Vibration on Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird High Speed Vibration on Raptor

I just bought a 2002 Raptor 660. Its bone stock with the exception of a lowering kit. I took the lowering kit off though. Anyways before and after I took off the lowering kit I noticed that in 4th great and in 5th gear the quad would shake violently. Its not the engine shaking or the handlebars but its the quad. The entire quad shakes bad. I found the nut holding the upper front left balljoint was loose. I tightened it up and still it does this. I searched around and couldnt find anyone with this problem. If you guys could shoot me some ideas that would be great. Thanks

Old 05-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

bent axel or wheel, or the wheels and tires are way out of balance.

Old 05-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

My raptor done that not long ago. I checked everything a couple times. It ended up being my motor. You couldnt tell by trying to move the motor. Try runing it in 5th gear, hold the shifter up as far as it will go, and let off the gas and gun it a few times and see if it fills like it moves up and down. Make sure you are holding it up in 5th with a quite a bit of pressure or you cant tell. w/b and tell me if that works.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

well, if the nut on the ball joint was loose, odds are good the machine has seen a tumble. which means other things are probably bent, like an a-arm or tie-rod. The swingarm pivot bolt could be backing out or bent, and yes the axle itself could be bent as well, which would cause tremendous shaking.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

My raptor shakes cuz my rear hubs are loose so on pavement the back wheels wobble... on dirt its No big deal

Old 05-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer

Yea I agree. I bent my axle once, and it would shake pretty bad. Just take off all the wheels and look for any out of roundness. But it is most likely something bent.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

If its the back tires you can just look at them [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] course i dont have heelgaurds and look at my tires often cuz they scare me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 05-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer

Hey by the way how was that lowering kit? Did it corner better with it on? I'm gunna guess it wasnt that great as you are taking it off but I have an 02 rappy as well and was wondering.

Old 05-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well this is my first quad but Ive had many dirt bikes before this. You dont balance the tires on these right?

What do you mean? Like something was wrong internally with the engine or the mounts were loose.

Im the 3rd owner of this. The first guy just rode it around car shows with 20's on it. The second guy only had it for a month and hes one of my good buddys and needed cash so he sold it to me. He said that he replaced the left upper A arm because he bent it or something. I believe there is a washer that supposed to go between the balljoint and the nut and it is missing.

I figured it could be the axle but my other buddys with quads said it doesnt do that when you bend the axle.

Ill go for a ride in a min and look at the back tires. I could of swore I saw the front tires shaking also but well see.

I didnt like the lowering kit due to the fact of it sat so low and it would scrape on everything. I mainly just hit jumps and do trail riding with it. I hit a smaller jump in 1st gear and it just bottomed out. So I took it off. If your interested in it, Ill sell it for cheap! The guy who had it on used at our little MX track and said it handles 10x better but I never take it out there so.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I found the rear hubs to be loose. So I searched around and found out they come loose alot on Raptors. I guess Ill be retorqueing them alot. Do you guys think this is what is causing the vibration?

Quick Reply: Weird High Speed Vibration on Raptor