Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

no mid/high end power...clogged exhaust on 98 warrior?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no mid/high end power...clogged exhaust on 98 warrior?

I have a 98 warrior that I bought off a co-worker. It had a supertrapp ids2 exhaust which was a little too loud for my taste. he had re-jetted the carb for the exhaust and a K&N filter that was put in. I took out some plates from the supertrapp (dropped it down to 4 plates) and re-jetted the carb. It ran well at that point but I decided to try to quiet it a little bit by putting the stock exhaust back on.

I put the exhaust on, tightened all the bolts and fired up the quad. It seemed to idle alright. I then tried to ride it and noticed that I had pretty much no mid and high end power. When I give it full throttle it bucks a little bit and seems to want to stall. I noticed that I am getting almost no air out of the back of the exhaust. I only ran it for about 5 minutes...as it wasn't even ridable at that point. I'm thinking that the stock exhaust must be clogged or something.

I am going to throw the supertrapp back on and try it again. I think the stock exhaust must be clogged or something. Does this sound reasonable? I took it back off and inspected it to try to determine if I could see anything inside..but I saw nothing. I was going to try the supertrapp at that point, but it was up at my house so I couldn't put it back on. (My quad has been staying at my friend's place).

Just trying to get opinions here....let me know if what I said seems reasonable or if something else may be to blame.

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It could be clogged. My stock one is laying on the floor of my shed, and a family of mice have been living in it for a year now - maybe something like that happened to yours and that's what's causing the problem.

My suggestion is to take the baffle/spark arrestor out of it and see what's going on. If there's a clog it almost has to be all the way at the end, where the exhaust is forced through baffle plates and a wire mesh spark arrestor. It'll probably be a little challenging to get out, I know mine was, but I can tell you that if you follow these steps it'll come out much easier.

First, obviously you'll have to take the bolt out of the end. Then clamp a set of big vice grips onto the edge of the baffle as tightly as possible. You may have to roll the lip out first so you can get them to grip properly, it's been a while so I can't remember for sure. Once you have them clamped down as tight as you can get them, tap on the head of the vice grips in order to twist the baffle, which should break loose the 8 years of rust and carbon buildup that's holding it in there. You may need to position the vice grips at more than one place, and tap it for a while, but that worked better than anything else I could figure out.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

dont mess the baffle up as recon sugest u want to put it back in i dont know why u would want to more air u can get out the more comes in and more air = more power but he knows everything with his 30hp bike

Old 05-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: YFZracer12
dont mess the baffle up as recon sugest u want to put it back in i dont know why u would want to more air u can get out the more comes in and more air = more power but he knows everything with his 30hp bike
I'm not quite sure what you just said, but I have a feeling you didn't completely read the original post. He's not looking for performance, he wants it quieter, so he wants to get it running right with the stock silencer. I'm suggesting that he takes the baffle out to see if there's anything clogging it up, since he commented that there's not much air coming out of the end. Taking it out like that will not damage it.

sorry for knowing it all

Old 05-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

YFZRacer,
Not sure what you are talking about...I'm not interested in getting more air flow, just in getting the air flow to be where it is supposed to.

I just want to make sure that the issues I'm having make sense as being related to a clogged exhaust. I am trying to determine if that is my issue or if there was just a coincidence that the quad stopped working correctly the same time I got the stock exhaust on...

Old 05-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Range Rover

YFZracer12...

Take a good look at what you wrote...

Were you smoking crack when you typed this?

I try to stay away from this type of reply...matter of fact, this would be my first. But, if you can't type a literate reply, go back and hit the Doctor Seuss books, and let members like recon99 try and help the people out here looking for good advice.

Old 05-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

well off the subject of that guy, did u change jet again after putting stock exhaust back on?If u didnt, u need to

Trending Topics

Old 05-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Range Rover

I agree with raptor rider, try going back to near stock jetting before messing up the factory pipe. Then if that dont work, mess with the factory pipe.