Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

06 yamaha 700r vs. 07 yamaha 700r

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 yamaha 700r vs. 07 yamaha 700r

here's the deal i jusy sold my 04 kfx400 ( what a great quad) and i want to buy a raptor. the question is , buy a first year (06) and deal with some of the compliants (686cc, weak subframe, bad suspension,vidration in the pegs. or ride a ok honda 250r for the summer( i would have to replace the rear tires on it) and wait for a 07, what kinda changes are they going to make to 07, refined brake ajuster, more cc, new colors or any of the above? what pipe should i buy for it. i know i'm buying a power commander( truly tuneable) i looking at a new set of shocks to go on it with in a few months of buying it.

I want a nice pipe that is a awsome all around pipe, has to be under 100dbs at least, i heard curtis sparks are great but i don't know if they make a quiet insert for because the are loud and i want to preserve the sport, i like the two brothers but they only make a slip on for it and i want a full system. i like dr.d a lot , give me feed back on your pipes even if is loud
( please quiet them down)

I also want5 to buy great suspension right off the bat. What do you think about the elite series from elka or the the 6 sense shock from progressive suspension or even the top of the line fox suspension , also should i widen it with a arm, i ride trails woods and a little mx.
i definily want o replace the the tire on it after a while. should i get itp holeshot hds or the gnc tires, i loved my set of hds on the kfx, what do you think? What brand of under body protection should i buy prm, pro armor or any other brand? last thing bumpers ( hate the plastic one), good heel guards, foot pegs. nerf bars.i like ims/roll design and pro armor. Oh, i forgot auto clutch system do the make them for that , i know revloc and rekluse made the for my kfx. give me all you impute, it is very much needed and appreicated

Old 05-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

I doubt you will see much if any of a change for the 07 700r. While you might hear some complaints, you will get them from any quad no matter how great it is, if you ask enough people for there opinon. As for the complaints

1) 686cc is still one of the biggest in the sport class so I dont see them worried about making it a true 700

2)weak subframe- this may be addressed if it is a big enough problem which I dont really think it is but we will see

3)bad suspension- I woundnt call the suspension bad, for what the quad is designed for I think it handles very well. That said I wouldnt be surprised if the 07 came with a reservoir shock on the front

4)vibration in the pegs- this I never noticed, I did only ride once with stock pegs before putting pro peg nerfs on so not sure if those would help if was a problem

So in summary I think the 07 will be exactly the same with a small chance of new front shocks. With the good reviews the have been getting they are not going to spend more money on a quad that just came out. They got bigger voids in there line up for next year.

So I say get the 06 even if the 07 comes with new shocks the price will probally go up to compensate. You could put a set of YFZ shocks on the front pretty cheap.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

I believe the only reason the 700 didnt come with YFZ shocks is it would have tipped the 400lbs scale.

The only change that should be made is to install an O2 sensor in the exhaust to give feedback to the ECU. They probably wont do this, cuz it will make the aftermarket pissy.

Ive never felt vibration in my pegs. And I only wear skate shoes for the most part when I ride.

I dont think the suspension is bad. It handles quite well out of the box. If your an aggressive rider, then yes youll want to do the shocks and wider arms.

I dont know of a quiet pipe. My Trinity and my friends Big Gun are loud as hell.

Why would you want to convert to an auto clutch?

Old 05-18-2006, 08:40 AM
Trailblazer

bump, i worded that wrong, the suspension fro what i heard was harsh and the front is non ajustable. any one tried elkas or the sixth sense shocks from progressive suspension on any quad.i need input on the
accessories or preformance parts i listed

Old 05-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer

the suspension is extremely smooth.... and the front is adjustable its just not reservoir shocks like the yfz

Old 05-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer

bump, please give me more feed back , need advice on the pipe and aftermarket shocks, anyone bought the new six sense shock for progressive.
please reply, what color 700r should i buy, how the se plastics looking after some ride time. need advice on under body protection, is .190 good enough or go for .250 for the swingarm, iride the woods and trail

Old 05-19-2006, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

Lot of good pipes and most people agree not a lot of difference in the HP gains inbetween them. I personally am going to go with a HMF.

Far as color thats just a matter of preference. I personlly like the blue the best but they all look good. If you ride har and in the woods your plastics will be beat up no matter what color. If go with white dont have to worry about stress marks but not sure how the yellow would hold up.

For a swing-arm skid Id go .250 and Id get it right away. My factory one had grooves from the brake rotor hitting it after first ride.

As far as the skids all the major companies make good stuff just make sure the swing-arm skid is .250. If want A-Arm skids I think the GYTR are the best looking with the 700r punched out in them. I like the Pro-peg set up as far as nerfs and I ordered the Bumper that comes on the Bill Balance YFZ 450 for my Raptor. The Pro-Armour Bullhorn was my 2nd choice.

Trending Topics

Old 05-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer

bump, please more input

Old 05-22-2006, 12:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have the luxury of riding a 250R for the summer, why not do that and see what happens? 07 model announcements are just a few months away at this point. I also don't think you will see many big changes to the 700R. Lately yamaha has been good about addressing weak areas on their flagship models, so any patterned problem areas may get tweaked for the upcoming model year.