Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

poormans raptor mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 07:35 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poormans raptor mods

I trimmed the flaps in the air box snorkel then trimmed the flaps back in the lid.On the carbs I changed the jetting145/150with pilots3 turns out.Put in a kand N drop in.On the exhaust I took out the sparky and cut the tip off then drilled several holes in the baffle inside the exhaust.No holes in the air box lid.I might up the pilots to 25,s but Im not sure If I have to.If you take the exhaust tip out It sounds pretty cool with the deep tone But the neighbors get pissed.Anyone else try these mods?

Old 05-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

i think my mods are better... lol and by far, the valve tick is the best...

my nerfs, front bumper, rear skid, shocks, are all used...

Old 05-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

The Cheapest thing to do is to adjust your sprockets to your type of riding.

If you do more drag racing, go with a 42 or 43 tooth rear sprocket to give you more low end power.

If top end speed is what you are looking for, go with a 38 tooth rear or go to a 15 tooth sprocket up front.

My experiance has shown that you will gain 7 to 10 mph on the top end by going to a 15 tooth front sprocket. 1st. and 2nd. seem really tall.......but it all comes down to the type of riding that you do.

Now:
1) I would suggest that you start off by putting a 38 tooth REAR sprocket on first.
2) do a plug check and make sure that your jetting is on.
3) Make sure that your air filter and Outerware is kept clean. Try and lose the lid. Stay out of deep water though.

Down the Road:
4) look into purchasing an aftermarket pipe in the future.when you can. (Yoshamura or MBRP)
5) Update your CAM!! Big difference. (Stage 1 or 2 Hot Cam).
6) Invest in some UPP Intake boots.

Note: One tooth in the front roughly equals three on the rear sprocket.

GregV

Old 05-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Range Rover

I was thinking of getting fmf megamax down the road .Parts direct has them for 215.00.I dont like extremely loud pipes.Do you know of any other slip ons that are in the middle noise wise?As for the gearing I allready droped one tooth in the front but dont want to lose any more top speed.What are the pros and cons on cams?

Old 05-25-2006, 07:52 AM
Pro Rider

The only thing with the Cam is that depending on how aggressive thatyou go, you will probably need to have your head modified to handle the larger lobes.

You will be a little louder and you will also be able to go larger in your main jet size . More fuel, more air = more power.

Contact a good builder like Bob Craycraft. He is an extremely personable and knoledgeable guy who can really make a Raptor run!!

I really would go with an actual slip on pipe if not the full system instead of a modified stock pipe. Even if you found a used pipe on E-Bay that you could buy. You may need to repack it and do some polishing.....but I think you will be further ahead than your stocker.

White Brothers make a good pipe, Sparks.....there a a lot of good players that ofer good gains over stock.

But for a real power improvement I would still recommend the new Cam. While your at it, you may as well get it ported while your there to take full advantage of the new cam. Bob Cracraft can do all that for you.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Trailblazer

I did the sparky thing on all 5 of my quads the first day I had them. On my son's raptor 350, I did the cutout first, it helped. Then I just took it out all together at a local practice track and it gained ALOT of low end. My son loved it.

LOL, yea, my neighbors hate the loudness too.