Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New 'SHEE Need Reliable Tips Please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2000, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No strait-jacket or applause needed or wanted!Sold the 440 for green money.This is my 1ST 2-stroke.Already looking at pipes and a filter(K/N).Any of U guys not still laughing,I would enjoy hearing what works, because being an "X" EX owner,something has to break.Right now this thing is stock and a "POOCH" to boot.Something has to give.Hate to think I would have to buy another "EX" and start all over again! By the way hope U guys had an EXCELLENT "TURKEY DAY"...

Old 11-23-2000, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

Just keep it well maintained and it will last a long time. If its not running in synch dont run it. Keep it jetted right, buy some reeds. Buy a helmet and some good riding gear and hold on if you can.

Old 11-23-2000, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

The most important durability tip for a banshee I can think of is religiously cleaning the air filter. I have a K&N with outerwear and I can pull off the outerwear after riding and clean it. That way I can go 3-5 rides before cleaning the whole filter. I like the K&N setup beacause it is easy to clean with their chemicals and it is durable. With foam filters you have to watch ripping them or having a glue seam come apart and letting evil junk into your engine.
I recently wadded up my '99 and had to go buy a new 2001 model! Two years of riding on the stock pistons and no loss of power or smoking. Yamalube (32:1) is one of the best premix oils out there.
Addict

Old 11-25-2000, 02:05 AM
Trailblazer

Brokemybanshee,sounds like good advice...Kept both the HJC and KBC helmets.Don't ride without one myself.Today I was at Fraker Racing and checked out a pair of nickel plated Pro Circut pipes and cores,jets, and a K/N filter.Ordered a set of chrome nerfs.I'm also thinking of Shredders and ITP wheels.1st things first.

Old 11-27-2000, 02:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey x honda man,
i happened to notice your location is around 1/2 hr from mine. just curious whether or not you know of some good race shops in our area?
i've never heard of the above said shop. wheres that at? any good riding down your way? (tracks, trails..ect.) most my digg'ns done in phillipsburg,houtzdale,altoona,
and cresson mtn. at the lemon house.
theres also a nice track up in Ramey, above tyrone. i had bought an 87 banshee here a while ago, bone stock, not to badly beat up
and the first thing i did was buy a FMF pwr. pkge. including fattie pipes,pwr. core 2 silencers, jets,
spacers,boysen reeds and the open element K&N's from magic racing for around 500 bucks. i didnt keep the banshee long enough to give any reliable tips but, i can say its true what they say about a "piped" banshee... the difference is black an white.

Old 11-29-2000, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

Hey piper660.Sorry It has been so long getting back.Hunting season and such.Fraker Racing is a small shop on 522 1 mi. before exit 13 of the turnpike.He races Bedford Clay drags and both his Banshee's finished 1 and 2 in the points this year.Bought mine at Bedford Yamaha and Suzuki and Lonny said Sean can make 'em go fast.And if he doesn't I'll show U how quick I'll be back on a moded 400 EX.E-mail me sometime and we'll hook up.I've heard of the Lemon House up by Cresson.I went to the Jamboree in Houtzdale and all the Madera Poker Runs.Six Mile Run 1 time when I had the '99 Warrior.And Vinco over by Muddy Corner and Johnstown."T" at Kauffman's has been telling me about Phillipsburg.Haven't been to Altoona to ride yet.Sounds to me like I need to hook up with U and C for myself so I have a few places to ride.Have to get some different riding in and C if I still have any nerve left.Broke 3 ribs and dislocated my shoulder in Aug. over at Pine Grove Furnace by "Shippensburg" on the 440.I've only run a tank of fuel through this pig so far.It's a different deal all-together.The stock tires are for sh-t,but I'll get some Shredders as soon as XMAS is over.Check U out later..

Old 11-29-2000, 01:57 PM
Trailblazer

BigBore440EXX

Welcome! Here is what appears to be a good list to get the most out of your Banshee and retain its excellent reliability. First get rid of the stock air cleaner! Pro_Design makes a clamp on adapter and depending on what the climate is where you live you can run a foam clamp on or a K&N. I live where its very dusty so i run a foam as they don't load up as fast and the foam seems to do a better job with very fine dust. Also remove the snorkel and drill vents in the airbox. Second, PIPES! I run Toomey T-5's with the Dynojet Needles. While everyone has thier own favorite but for pure snap and sound Toomeys are my favorite. Finally, to put all that power to the ground get rid of those crappy stock tires and throw on some ITP holeshots. I went 2 inches larger in the front and stayed the same in the back and what a difference in accelleration and handling they make.

The last thing is maintainence as with any quad. I run Yamalube R 32:1 and after 5 years my banshee still has only lost 4 lbs of compression per cylinder and thats with alot of use including regular duning. Also be sure to change your oil after every major ride. Oil is cheap and engines are not. Finally if you grease everything regularily it will never squeak ; )

Hope this was of some help..

Trending Topics

Old 11-29-2000, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

I thought that the lemon house is paper mill. Do they have a track there or do they just have good riding. You should show me around up there sometime. Do you ever venture a little more south(I believe) into the small Lilly Mountain, Deep Hollow, Portage, Cooney's.

Old 11-29-2000, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

What areas of the quad should you grease often? How often?

Old 11-30-2000, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey eric,
ive never heard the lemon house refered to as the paper mill. maybe 2 diff. places? as far as any tracks....no. just good trail riding. ever heard of the murph hills in Altoona? you can get to them from the lemon house. LOTS of trails there w/ tons of hill climbing and some playgrounds.
i looked at a map and see our only a stones throw from the lemon house. takes me about 1/2 hour to get there. those places you mentioned ive never heard of. whats the riding like there? any one else riding 660's up your way? the lemon house is'nt to safe to ride anymore
some holiday bash there left the place trashed w/ litter and from what i hear, some dood got his 4 wheel drive stuck on one of the natural gas lines that runs through there. so now the DCNR's fork'n out tickets to people caught there. SUX! hopefully the place will cool down by summer. any race tracks up your way? do any harescrambles or poker runs?

late......

Quick Reply: New 'SHEE Need Reliable Tips Please!