Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I need help what should I choose: Banshee, Predator, or 660 Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 01:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help what should I choose: Banshee, Predator, or 660 Raptor

What one should i get? I mainly go trail riding but i want to get in to mx racing maybe you guys can help me choose.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:40 AM
Range Rover

for trail riding stay away from Banshee. it has low ground clearance and will overheat.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

this was my reply between the banshee and the predator:

The Predator handles much better and has a lot of torque which helps it in the woods. Stock for stock it will beat a banshee no problem in all areas. like 2fast said though, once you start messing w/ a banshee there's not a lot that will keep up. Still it depends what you want to do with it. Neither is built for the MX track but the pred has much better suspension, (especially the TLE model. The Podium X shocks that are on it are the best stock shocks in the industry. Doug Gust uses them, and the Polaris comes with them from the factory!) also the Pred has a lifetime waranty on its rear axle, so that tells you that it is track ready, even if it is a bit heavy. The Predator is also by far the best in woods also due to its greater torque, especially w/ the TLE's close ratio tranny. Overall i'd say, Banshee for modification for the straight line or sand, Predator for pretty much anything else. I was in your shoes last summer... you can see which way i went. Oh well, whatever you chose enjoy it !
Now that you've added the Raptor to your choices, things are a little different, but i'd still take the Predator. (again, i was making this decision not long ago and it's the one i chose.) The Raptor is a GREAT trail machine. Lots of torque, i like that. They are a little too narrow to be competative on the MX track tho. Not that they can't MX, just that the narrowness imposes a physical limitation when cornering that you'd not have on the Predator. The other reason i'd take the Pred is the engine's size. Being a 500, it is legal for XC racing, and if you ever get serious enough into Motocross to where you need a 450, Polaris sells a sleeve-down kit for the Predator to do so. This kit comes w/ a high-comp piston, rev box and sleeve and all from Polaris! again, the shocks (particularly the TLE's) are better, and the Predator is actually slightly faster in the straight line drag than either of these machines (stock for stock of course. i know what drag-modd banshees are capable of. Also: The predator being slightly faster has been both moy personal experience and confirmed by Dirt Wheels when they tested the '05s against each other.) Again while i may be slightly biased, i really don't think so because i took an objective look at all the machines back in late summer '05 and the Predator was the one i felt was the best overall package. Good luck again! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]!

Old 06-08-2006, 03:54 AM
Pro Rider

Hmmm... This could get nasty. The banshee is definitely not your top choice in either kind of riding. The hard choice is between the Pred and 660. Both are great trail quads but arent on the top of the list either when it comes to MXing. Both have plenty of torque, but the raptor is probablly one of the most wheelie happy quads ever made, so that could affect your decision. You might consider a 700 Raptor? It is great in the trails, and I've heard some stories of it doing pretty well on the track too. Feul Injection is a plus too.