Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 350 vs 400ex

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 04:47 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 350 vs 400ex

Iam getting one of these wheelers in about 2 weeks I have heard great things about both of them and I need to know which one is faster and which one is better period better if the raptor is almost as fast and can keep up I think I will save the 1,000$ and go with the Raptor and does the raptor feel sporty unlike the warrior?

Old 06-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the 400ex is more performance oriented and will outrun a 350 fairly easy. So it's probably worth the extra $ if you're worried about performance. The Rappy 350 still makes a good trail quad tho.

And the Rappy 350 pretty much is a Warrior.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can usually get a pretty good deal on the 400EX since it has the same MSRP as the faster, higher tech Z400. Nothing wrong with the 350 Raptor either, it is a slightly upgraded Warrior. A 400EX will beat a Warrior in just about any situation though.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not if you're racing backwards [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Up until '05 Honda did not put reverse on their 400ex's. If you are buying new this shouldnt be a problem for you.

I also am looking into both of these quads as a replacement for my moto4. Because I've never owned a sport bike I would prolly choose the raptor because its a yamaha and not crazy fast. I ride woods and trails and never really get to open her up anyway. For me, I would choose the raptor over the 400ex. For you, I guess it all depends on prices and which brand you like best. The raptor and 400ex are pretty closely matched.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

i would go with a 400ex that is a year or two old and you will save a boat load of money and it will be worth it in my opinion, the warrior/raptor 350 has a low end power but in a different form they can just chug along up a steep hill with a descently heavy rider forever while the 400ex is good like that but not as good, but the 400ex has a quick type of power, the stuff you pop wheelie s with or use in short accel bursts anywhere you want even up hill

steve

Old 06-14-2006, 02:10 AM
Trailblazer

A 400ex will not outrun a Raptor 350 fairly easily, just not true. I have the Raptor, my buddy has the 400ex, I'm not just guesstimating like everyone else here. Bone stock, the 400 is a little faster, but not much. We never raced from a dead stop to top speed, but what the hell's the point in that anyways? I'm pretty sure the 400 will have a FEW more mph up top, so if all you want to do is ride thru open fields at top speed all day, get the ex. In the woods, it's pretty even. Also, the Warrior and Raptor are nothing alike, other than sharing a frame and most of the motor. Sit on one and ride one, you'll feel the difference. Not saying that the Raptor is some new high tech machine, but a Warrior it is not. And while we're talking about old technology, a 400ex isn't exactly a new high tech machine either. And finally, with a pipe, filter, no airbox lid, and jetting I can pull on an 05 400ex all day long. If he did the same we'd be back to square one again....

And just to clarify, the rider on the ex is a damn good rider. We've been riding together for about ten years, so it's not like I'm just a better rider than him. The bikes really are that close.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:18 AM
Trailblazer

Here's something else I found in another post here for the "warrior and raptor are the same bike" people:

I beg to differ with you, the Raptor 350 and the Warrior are NOTHING alike an ANY way.

We've owned both and the Raptor is a totally different machine for all intents and purposes. They pretty much changed everything from bars to tires, right down to the cam and exhaust.

The ergonomics are not even close! The Raptor has a nice seating position, nice fat foot pegs, and the suspension and handling are much more agressive friendly, it's a good 1-2 inches wider and a good 1-3 inches shorter which totally changes the handling. The steering stem angle is different, and suspension geometry is different, and weight distribution is different. They angled the engine a few degrees forward to center the weight. And it's 25lbs lighter.

About the only thing I saw between our 2001 Warrior and the Raptor that was the same were the rims. And at first I though the swingarm was the same too but they changed the chain adjustment and the swing arm is at a different angle, and the linkage is different.

Old 06-14-2006, 03:41 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Yakuza
Here's something else I found in another post here for the "warrior and raptor are the same bike" people:

I beg to differ with you, the Raptor 350 and the Warrior are NOTHING alike an ANY way.

We've owned both and the Raptor is a totally different machine for all intents and purposes. They pretty much changed everything from bars to tires, right down to the cam and exhaust.

The ergonomics are not even close! The Raptor has a nice seating position, nice fat foot pegs, and the suspension and handling are much more agressive friendly, it's a good 1-2 inches wider and a good 1-3 inches shorter which totally changes the handling. The steering stem angle is different, and suspension geometry is different, and weight distribution is different. They angled the engine a few degrees forward to center the weight. And it's 25lbs lighter.

About the only thing I saw between our 2001 Warrior and the Raptor that was the same were the rims. And at first I though the swingarm was the same too but they changed the chain adjustment and the swing arm is at a different angle, and the linkage is different.
Am I correct in thinking the point is that the raptor350 is an improved warrior with new plastics?

I actually really liked the ole warrior I had, and it was an excelent first atv etc, but even with the improvements its still very different than the 400ex.

There actually isnt very much at all that they have in common beyond both being atv's and running on four wheels etc.and maybe both being very reliable, but they are designed totally different and after you spend a reasonable amount of time on them you will better understand etc.

Both are fine machines that will get you where you want to go, and will give you years of fun.

They are just very different, and were even originally designed for different purpose or use. Dont forget that even though honda didnt complete the job on the 400ex it still was designed as a replacment for the 250r that was intended to be able to be raced in modded form, and experience tell us just how successfull it was etc.

If its suspension, handling, engine or just about any other area the honda holds an edge, and if your looking to make performance changes (mods) it will respond better as well.

Even when I first purchased my 400ex and it didnt have all the mods it does today I found it a large improvement over the warrior I had at the time, and I know it offered more performance in most every area, and was just an overall better design.

Now I dont want all the loyalists jumping all over my post so dont bother, and I know the raptor350 and warrior are good machines (like I said I owned one and liked it) but for someone who is considering a 400ex or other more sport oriented model I think we owe it to them to be fair in comparing them.

And lastly there wouldnt be any harm in checking out the z400 too if your seriously considering the 400ex.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Trailblazer

I am certainly not a "loyalist"......lol. Whatever works well I like. When I bought my Raptor it wasn't because I wanted a Yamaha, it's because that's what I ended up deciding I liked after looking around. Don't get me wrong either, I thing the 400ex is a great all around machine too. My only point is that they're not the leaps and bounds ahead of the Raptor 350 people think they are. The Warrior probably is that much worse than the 400 though.

The Raptor was intended to be an updated Warrior, but the updates make quite a difference. 25 pounds lighter, a little quicker, much better feel, etc. It just adds up to a much nicer bike than the Warrior. My original post was actually not ment to slam the 400, but to show that the Raptor is a much more capable machine than most people give it credit for. Like I said, I've been riding atv's for over ten years, sport bikes for close to the same, and I still chose the Raptor 350. And not to be cocky, but I Guarantee if 99% of people would ride the trails with me, they'd be looking at a lot of taillights and dust. I guess it all comes down to what you want to do. I love fast trail riding, and the bike is great for it. If I wanted to ride sand dunes, I'd have a 450 or 700.

Anyways, back to the poster's original question........ Sit on them both and try to get a ride on each. Make your decision from there. One thing I will deffinately give the 400 is that it's wider in stock form, so it's more stable right off the showroom floor. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one, they're both great bikes.

Old 06-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Yakuza
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one, they're both great bikes.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Raptor 350 vs 400ex