Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Trading a polaris in for yam can u help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading a polaris in for yam can u help?

Hello I'm getting rid of my son's phoneix 200 he is 12 years old and on the smaller size. my question is he wants a 350 raptor my other son wants a 450 yam he is ridding a 250 trailblazer and is 13 and a bigger boy his machine is under power for him. I want to give my younger boy his trailblazer and buy the 350 for the older boy. Any of you that would have the 450 and 350 that could tell me your opinioun would be great. Sorry for the family histoy. Thank you for your time.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

i have a warrior 350 and its a power monster, could go up any hill just not the greastest for wheelies

Old 06-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

i would recoomend the 350... the 450 is to much bike for them

Old 06-16-2006, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

I would also give the older son the 350 Raptor. The 450 is alot of machine that requires alot of maintenance. Give him a couple years on the 350 then pass it down and maybe get a 450 then. The 350 raptor is a good reliable entry level sport quad that you could run for years with no problems. With a pipe and filter added they have more than enough power for a 13 year old. I just upgraded from my warrior (same motor) a few months ago and Im 34 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Trailblazer

Thank you to every one. It's all about fun but being safe as well.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Trailblazer

i would definitely agree with the other posters who have said that the 450 is too much for him at that age. the 350 will be a healthy upgrade that has quite a few options for later modification if he feels he needs more power. sitting in my garage (along with my two bikes) are a yfz 450 and a raptor 350 that belong to friends. i have ridden both on many occations and the raptor 350 has more that enough power to be entertaining and will require much less maintenance than any of the 450s. it is definitely a good choice for your oldest son.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bberck
I would also give the older son the 350 Raptor. The 450 is alot of machine that requires alot of maintenance. Give him a couple years on the 350 then pass it down and maybe get a 450 then. The 350 raptor is a good reliable entry level sport quad that you could run for years with no problems. With a pipe and filter added they have more than enough power for a 13 year old. I just upgraded from my warrior (same motor) a few months ago and Im 34 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I couldn't agree more. The 450 is a wild machine, and unless you're careful and respect the power it can get you into trouble pretty quick. I don't know any 13 year olds that would be ready for that kind of power. And if you aren't careful about keeping up with maintainance on a yfz it can turn into a money pit real quick. I rode a honda recon (250 utility) for 5 years, and didn't step up to my 350 until I was 19. There's just no reason a 13 year old needs a yfz. The 350 is still a lot for someone that age, but if he handles his trailblazer responsibly then he should be fine, just keep an eye on him at first.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: recon99
Originally posted by: bberck
I couldn't agree more. The 450 is a wild machine, and unless you're careful and respect the power it can get you into trouble pretty quick. I don't know any 13 year olds that would be ready for that kind of power. And if you aren't careful about keeping up with maintainance on a yfz it can turn into a money pit real quick. I rode a honda recon (250 utility) for 5 years, and didn't step up to my 350 until I was 19. There's just no reason a 13 year old needs a yfz. The 350 is still a lot for someone that age, but if he handles his trailblazer responsibly then he should be fine, just keep an eye on him at first.
well if you dont know one you know one now....Hi, how do you do, i like to manhandle 660's and 450's for a hobby! And at 13 years old also, goin on 14 though...but then again im one of the more built ones benching 180 and well yea...but ive been riding clutch since i was 5 years old and since then im pretty sure i have improved. But from a trailblazer to a yfz, bad idea like the rest have said. Let him marinate on a 350 for a couple years and then buy him a better bike like...say, when the new yamahas come out in the next couple years! But the yfz would be a bit too much also because of maitenance. The 350 is a bullet proof bike that will just about never overheat and has nice smooth power but plenty of it.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer

Hey I want to thank all for the great help, I did get the boys ages mixed up my 15year old has the tb and my 13 year old has the 200 phoneix. I'm still going to give my 15 year old the 350 ans pass his tb to my 13 year old. "boy these kids grow fst" but again thanks. Talk with you all when its time to hop up the 350 "probly a couple of months"

Old 06-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

i think the 13 year old boy should get it it is not enough power for a 15 year old boy it does have alot though i think the same way the others do it is stil to much power

Quick Reply: Trading a polaris in for yam can u help?