Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

bought a new raptor 700r, questions about the gearing and geting aftermarket suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 02:49 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bought a new raptor 700r a have so questions

i bought a new raptor 700r se two week ago and have some questions. it seems that that third gear is a liitle high and like to stall easy. is the a heaver flywheel weight for it to prevent stalling or a auto clutch possibly avalible for it. amy one know the stock stock sag for the rear shock and how it is measured or from what two points is it measured from. where can i get a heaver rear spring for the rear, i'm a 250 pound guy, i need fully rebuildable/ ajustable, was think 06 yfz front shocks, or elka, custom axis, i hear elka are great, i can actually go to custon axis shop they operate near me.i am willing to fork out the 1400 bucks if they are a night and day impovement over the stocker, give all your input, explain high/low speed compression damping

Old 06-20-2006, 04:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default bought a new raptor 700r, have some questions

i say black widows man sorry not alot of info but ull def be happy

Old 06-20-2006, 05:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

you say you have the dynatek f.i. controller. how would you reccomend installing it?

Old 06-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Trailblazer

bump, i was told that works suck compared to the other two brands of shocks, i don't knowmuch about themplease give me your opinion , i really need then, will a power commander geear down third and stop it from stalling, what gearing do you run, i heard people change the gearing right away, what gearing do you run, what does the gearing change about power, help me please , it is well appreicated

Old 06-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

Honestly man, I think if you got a pipe and an air filter and remapped it would make all the difference, get a pipe that is very responsive, if not just drop a tooth on the front sprocket, or do both! good luck, tell us what you end up doing.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Trailblazer

bump more info please, i'm dieing here

Old 06-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default bought a new raptor 700r, questions about the gearing and geting aftermarket suspension

forget paying 1400 for elkas. I would get a works quadstar rear shock, and front works triple rate wit rezzy's... have it valved for your weight, and they will be amazing, dont waste your money on stuff you dont need. I already told you also, gear it 1 tooth front sprocket down, get a pipe and airfilter. ALso is you really want to improve your ride, you can get better a-arms and a better rear axle, like hmmm ASR front a-arms, +2 on ebay for like 400 bucks shipped, and a durablue rear axle like 350 shipped on ebay. That and the works shocks and you raptor will be 200 percent better.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default bought a new raptor 700r, questions about the gearing and geting aftermarket suspension

really don't want more power, i want to gear the power,I already available.paintballbanshee i doin't need a new rear shock, just a stiffer spring, and my buddy is a suspension mechanic ,so he would revalve and redue the stock rear and know allot more pros run elka, tcs,pep, and others compared to to works, the only works shocks i would consider to buy would be the black widiow , any one have the stock specs for the rear shock's sag and how is the sag is measured or by what two points is it meassured. where on the intenet can i get a stiffer rear spring for the 700r. where can i get a heaver flywheel weight for it so i can pervent stalling or a auto clutch.anyone got the new itp gncc's are the better than the hd's.
please give me feedback

Old 06-22-2006, 12:49 AM
Trailblazer

please give feedback, i need help

Old 06-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you are using this thing for rock crawling or in the woods. You cant gear down individual gears. If you want to lower the gearing a little bit, add 1-2 teeth to the rear sprocket. If you want to make a significant change, subtract a tooth from the front sprocket.

A heavier flywheel would lessen stalling, but I doubt anyone makes one.

I almost never use 1st gear cuz its too low...I couldnt imagine stalling it.

Regardless of brand, id say get the shocks you want with the features you want like dual rate\tripple rate, compression adj, rebound adj, resivoir configuration. Find the best deal and buy em.

You can get a heavier spring from your motorcycle dealer.

A shock that has hi\low speed dampning has the provisions to have a setting at low speed (typically soft and comfortable for that speed) then at hi speed a stiffer setting to be appropriate for that shock speed.

Quick Reply: bought a new raptor 700r, questions about the gearing and geting aftermarket suspension