Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

My raptor isn't gettin no spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 12:36 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My raptor isn't gettin no spark

Well i was riding one day and my bike jus all of a sudden died.. i tok it to a freinds and checked to see if i was gettin gas and i was.. checked the spark plug and see if iwas gettin spark and there was none. I tried using a multitester to see if i was gettin power before the coil and it seemed like it but i dont really know how to work one of those things..did anyone ever have the same problem before..i was thinkin either the coil or the cdi but i dont know which one it could be?

Old 06-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your battery, relay, coil, plug wire and thier connections. Make sure when you test for spark that you've got a good ground. Try swapping the plug before you start to tear into anything.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

advance auto had a cool tool to hook to the plug(looks like a sparkplug) to check just that.....it was on sale for $20....I almost bought it

Old 06-26-2006, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer

the wierd thing is that my brothers did the same thing bout a week before and its the same year as mine..ill have to look into that tester thing ur talkin about and try buyin a new spark plug while im there. when im checkin for spark i put in on my engine head and i had my dad grad a hold of it so i know there is know power getiin to it..we took the spark plug out and he put a screwdriver in there and he said he got one little zap, but only once..im goin to a shop and asking a couple questions 2morrow to c what they have to say..thanks

Old 07-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

take the plug off of the voltage regulator (the thing with fins on it at the back of the bike) then see if you have spark. If you do your stator is gone get a new one.
if not then you have big problems

Old 07-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Range Rover

mine did the exact same thing for no reason and it was the stator....unplug the thing on the rectifier and if its that, it will start the 1st shot

Old 07-03-2006, 03:06 AM
Trailblazer

thnx..ill have to try that to see if it works.. What does it mean if it still doesn't spark?? WOuld that mean that the stator still might be good and something else is wrong.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Range Rover

yup prolly....or maybe its only a wire or water in the cdi box?i dunno, I'm just giving some ideas.
Joel

Old 07-10-2006, 03:05 AM
Trailblazer

Well i unplugged the voltage regulator n it had spark so ill be lookin at the stator 2morrow..thanks for the help

Old 07-10-2006, 02:36 PM
Range Rover

my 04 did something like this a few mounths ago and it turned out the damn possitive terminal on the battery was loose lol check and make shure both of the wires conected are fully connected... it robobly shook it self apart

Quick Reply: My raptor isn't gettin no spark