Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

89 Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Warrior

I just got back from riding. It ran great. When it first starts it has aslight exhaust leak, when it warms up the valves get a little noisy. It only poofed once on me. We rode a lot of water crossing and some gravel pit riding. I am gonna recheck my valve clearance and ride until I get enough money for a newer warrior. Also I am not sure If it's an 89 because the headlights are still lower. The registration card says 89 it's black and red, the plastics not cracked. It's not realy as bad as bad as I make it sound, I'm just a perfectionist. Hope to get pics on soon.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default 89 Warrior

glad to see her running for you

Old 07-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!
Default 89 Warrior

Originally posted by: pixie
I just got back from riding. It ran great. When it first starts it has aslight exhaust leak, when it warms up the valves get a little noisy. It only poofed once on me. We rode a lot of water crossing and some gravel pit riding. I am gonna recheck my valve clearance and ride until I get enough money for a newer warrior. Also I am not sure If it's an 89 because the headlights are still lower. The registration card says 89 it's black and red, the plastics not cracked. It's not realy as bad as bad as I make it sound, I'm just a perfectionist. Hope to get pics on soon.
what's the 10th digit in the VIN?

Old 07-02-2006, 01:32 AM
Trailblazer
Default 89 Warrior

where is the vin? I have been told it's by the left foot peg, but I can't seem to find it.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default 89 Warrior

Whats up with every body being down on the old school rides. I have a 91 Blaster,87 Warrior, and a 87 250r. I wouldn't get rid of any of them. The vin's on the frame rail below the left foot peg.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Trailblazer
Default 89 Warrior

Boomer2 I see you have some older quads, but you also have some newer rides and many backups. I love my warrior and my next one will probably be a warrior but it's my only quad. When it's out of comission so am I. I am not saying newer stuff doesn't break, but a bike pushin' 20 years old is not going to be as dependable, not to mention what it's previous owners may or may not have done. I would like to keep this one and get a newer one, but I don't see it happening. Speedy2222 what do you need to know to help me fix the poof problem? Your help would be greatly aprreciated, and all the repairs and maintanence I do will be benaficial to you when you buy it ha ha .

Old 07-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!
Default 89 Warrior

Originally posted by: pixie
Boomer2 I see you have some older quads, but you also have some newer rides and many backups. I love my warrior and my next one will probably be a warrior but it's my only quad. When it's out of comission so am I. I am not saying newer stuff doesn't break, but a bike pushin' 20 years old is not going to be as dependable, not to mention what it's previous owners may or may not have done. I would like to keep this one and get a newer one, but I don't see it happening. Speedy2222 what do you need to know to help me fix the poof problem? Your help would be greatly aprreciated, and all the repairs and maintanence I do will be benaficial to you when you buy it ha ha .
when built right and properly maintained they can be just as reliable if not more reliable than newer quads

the only reason i want another quad is to re-live the fun i had when i first got my quad... it was just awesome.. and i want a 3nd one that i can just totally beat the **** out of and just not care about.. aswell as tryout all these interesting ideas i have concocted over the past 3 years

Old 07-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default 89 Warrior

speedy I just reset the valves again, it sounds perfect and runs great. I think I fell in love with her again!!!

Old 07-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 89 Warrior

Hi. I just bought a 1987 Warrior. Very good shape overall, but she lacks the umph! that I think a 350 should have. I am replacing the following tonight: sparkplug, old gas, oil filter, and fuel filter. I have the Yamaha Service manual and I have read about the valve adjustment, but amnot a mechanic and would really like to ride this weekend. I plan on running a platinum plug NGK D8ea. I know this is not much info, but are there any other ideas on gaining power? I did not do a compression test, but I did run it in first gear and let let the compression slow it down and I saw no blue smoke. I also started it with the manual pull start and it felt like there was plenty of compression. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 07-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Trailblazer
Default 89 Warrior

Vicaman what are you used to riding? I have always rode 3wheelers so my warrior seems pretty powerful. You got to take in to account that the new 450 are basically stock racers and the 660 rapters and up are ,well 660 c.c. plus 4wheelers we can not compete with that. We also don't have 5 or 6 grand stuck into are quads either. I love the warrior the only thing that would make it better is quiter lifters. Mine still makes a little noise when it warms up, but I am getting used to it. A valve adjustement is real simple, so if you can do anything mechanical try it yourself and save a couple hundred bucks. More than likely it will still make a little noise but you will be able to check them yourself in the future. After you have done it once you can tear down and be riding again in an hour. I maybe would try running it good and hard before you get to into it. Don't make the same mistake I did. Have fun?

Quick Reply: 89 Warrior