Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

RAPTOR PLASTIC

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2000, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just have to ask this..Does anyone have a miracle tip on how to remove the scratches from the plastic. MIne are badly scratched already. I read some where that some guy wet sanded his?

2001 raptor blue
white bros Pipe
yamaha shock covers

Old 11-27-2000, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

I am not sure on how to remove scratches Mine is scratched up too. The blue is hard to keep looking nice, they do sell a fender renew kit but I have never tried it. I use Finish 2001 one my plastic, it makes the scratches hard to see and also if you get armerall tire foam and spray it all over your quad it will make the hoses and any plastic where you cant reach look like new. I also found that if you use a heat gun this will take out the white creases that the yamha blue plastic get in it when it is put under stress.

Old 11-27-2000, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

I know that steel wool works on white plastic, I dont know if it works on other colors.. worth a try.. just do a small patch and see if it works before going to town..

Old 11-27-2000, 02:21 PM
Range Rover

I have used a plastic renew kit I purchased from a local Honda dealer. Cost was around $20.00. Most dealers carry it in their parts dept. It works OK. You wet sand the plastic with 2 or 3 different grits that come with it, apply a liquid and buff it with fine steel wool after it dries. Everything is supplied in the kit. Be prepared to do a lot of sanding if you want it to look good because sandpaper leaves scratches also if you don't do a good job and really sand it well. I don't know about the durability as I sold the bike right after I did it, but it made the plastic look pretty good.

Old 11-27-2000, 03:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey xtreme165, my father-in-law rolled his blue raptor and now has alot of white creases in his plastic. Do you just get the heat gun near the plastic or is there something more you have to do?

Old 11-27-2000, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

raptor77, All you have to do is put the heat gun near the plastic do underneath the plastic as well as above the plastic you have to heat it up pretty good just watch you dont melt a whole in the plastic you'll see the platic change colors back to blue. It works pretty good so take you time.

Old 11-27-2000, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

I used that plastic renew kit. I wouldent buy it unless you are selling it. It doesnt take much to scratch that stuff off. Then it looks worse than if you left it alone. If you do scratch one little spot you cant just touch that spot up, you have to start over. It is overated and its alot of work. I have used a buffer before with rubbing compound then polishing compound. They still dont look like new when your done tho.

Old 11-28-2000, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

That plastic Renew only works on white plastic on it still doesn't really work well. This is why I like the white/black raptor. You can sand white fenders back to brand new. Don't ever sand color plastic because that will make more scratches. That heating up the fender idea i'm not to sure about that. Sounds too risky for me. What works the best is Turtle wax Tire Wet Gel. Doesn't cost as much as plastic cleaners and leaves the best shine I've ever seen. Works on tires too and is save on all colors and surfaces. I'm telling you this Tire Wet Gel stuff is really all that. Get it and tell me what you think.

Old 11-29-2000, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

so turtel wax tire gel huh?

Hmmmmmmmm interesting..very interesting

Thanks everyone for you suggestions

Old 12-01-2000, 02:07 AM
Trailblazer

joeyd,

The poor guys in Florida are using Futura floor finish...strange as it may sound, it's not a wax, but acrylic...may have to do it every two weeks, but it does shine...try a small area!

Quick Reply: RAPTOR PLASTIC