Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i get it ??????

hey well thank you for all your help i might just look into the newer ones then

Old 07-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Range Rover

I have a 2001 raptor and i beat the he!! out of it and the transmition is still holding just fine. That goes to prove all this hype of 2001 trannes are not true because if mine was faluty then I would of broke it. I do 2 gear slams and clutchless shifting all the time and its still fine and fells great. The clutch is holding up just fine two. I use reverse all the time two but some times when i dont push down all the way it wont ingage and click but I just repush it and it goes into reverse just fine.
I paid 2400 and it was in great shape with full skids bumper k&n and exhaust and sticker kit and some handle bar protectors and kill switch and the parking brake works just fine two and have never had a problem with it.

Oh as far as what broke i did have a Starter clutch go bad and replaced with a L&A wit a new 52 T gear.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

They're known to have bad tranny's... it doesn't mean every single one of them is bad...

the 04 yfz's had a problem where the billet plug would blow out under normal riding conditions, spilling oil all over your header... Mine didn't pop out until after I had been riding it for 2 years... Just because it hasn't happened yet... doesn't mean it won't...

Just something to keep in mind...

Old 07-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Range Rover

From research on this form whe you ask people with 2001 raptors If they had problems most will say they not had a problem. I also know friends with tuns of engine work and they have never had a problem and have went through like 5 clutches. I dont know where it started but from my prospective it looks like a rummor and iv even seen articles on the new claming it was a rummor and there was ever one some buddy posted here on the forms about 2 weeks ago. I dont know but i pray that i dont have anay troubles. Also the problems with the raptors on ebay that are cheap are, first they cost a tun to ship and they are usualy beat up and the guy tryes to make it sound good and only gives you pictures of spots with no problems and some times they are even scams.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey thanks for your input but if i do buy the 01 and the trani does go out then howmuch would it cost me to fix it ?

Old 07-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

I've personally seen posts on this website... that stated that they were another 01 tranny victim...

Hopefully yours lasts you the life of the quad...

Old 07-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Range Rover

Ya iv seen thoes post on hear two but Iv also seen post of 2005 trannies going out two and every year inbetween. It realy depends on what you do to them and I guess its the luck of the draw. Also when you have a problem you come hear and post about it. How many post do you see saying MY 01 Tranny is holding up great!? Anayway I was just looking on ebay and you can get a compleat used 2004 tranny for about 100 bucks. I just seen a real nice set go for 82.00$ 2 days ago. That is just the kit and you will have to instal it. There are web sites like raptortranny.com that have a step by step gide with pictures so I dont see how you could go mess up with about 1 day and reading the driections carefully. I have seen that rick raceing or what ever his name is will compleatly instal the tranny and including parts for 500.00$. If I hade an option of a 01 or 02 i would pick 02 but iv seen vary few 01 raptors with this problem. Also search these forms man, there tuns of post and most people with 01 trannies even with mods are not having problems. There are even post saying there 03 tranny failed so I think that most of this 01 tranny crap is a rummor. You can wipe a tranny on amost every quad if you really try two and I would gess that 01 sold the most of any other year because of the amount iv see rideing and even on the forms most have a 2001 raptor in there some were. Also when they first come out people beat the he!! out of them to see what they were worth. I really like my 01 raptor and I beat the crap out of it and all I have ever had go bad was the one way bearing witch happens on all year raptors and the rear bearings just went bad.(witch is 20 Bucks shiped on ebay and 2 hr time) Shoot I just replaced the spark plug this year. Maby I have ben lucky but I am impresed with my raptor and going to keep it for a vary long time. Also

Old 07-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silent101, while I appreciate your input you're simply a victim of good fortune. I had a friend that spoke a lot like you once, about a year ago we swapped out his trans gears, one-way, piston, valve springs, valves and cam (cam was still ok) over the course of 4 months. He didn't learn his lesson, he's got an 06 Rap 700 in his garage now.

Why do you think there's a whole website devoted to this problem? It's no small one either... www.raptortranny.com

Old 07-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

www.albaaction.com has it with all this stuff All Gaskets including:
Head Gasket
Cylinder Gasket
Case Tensioner Gasket
Clutch Cover Gasket
Crankcase Gasket
Other smaller gaskets
O-Ring
Washer Plate
All Inner & Outer Circlips
All Lock Washers
OilFilter
Main Axle (12T)
2nd Pinion Gear
4th Pinion Gear
Reverse Pinion Gear
Reverse Wheel Gear
Collar
Shift fork #2
1st Wheel Gear
2nd Wheel Gear
3rd Wheel Gear
4th Wheel Gear
5th Wheel Gear
Oil Seal 2nl
Drive Gear
Shift Fork

heres the link http://alba.buyol.com/Item/RAP%2DTRANS%2DKIT.htm, usually you dont need all of that but this is if you want to avoid all problems and just do the whole thing at once.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Range Rover

lol There are web sites devoted to everything man. They say you can find anaything on the web. Also if you been to That web site its not devoted to just tranny problems. Its devoted to all raptor problems. Also notice how i mentioned raptortranny in the post above. Also if you go to that site there are other raptor owners haveing problems with there trannies and there not all 2001. So to the point, what are you trying to say? That my raptor is going to break and it is just a mater of time or I am just lucky and got some kind of good transmition?. If what all these people that claim that 01 trannies are all faulty is true then why hasent my tranny went out and I for sure dont baby it around. I have beat the he!! out of it from day one and i am not lyeing to you. I have not had a problem. I just dont see how they can tell me my tranny is faluty but hasent broke. What i am saying is i personaly do not know some one who had a bad tranny and i really dont trust what people say on the internet. You should of learned by now with all you're post that not everything people claim on the net is true or if they are telling the compleat storie. As for it hapning to you're friend are you 100 precent sure it wasent on his part? abuse is abuse my friend and when you abuse quads they will fail eventualy. Oh and one more thing all the people i have seen on the net that had a problem had tuns of aftermarket mods. These bikes were not designed to put out the HP some of you people are running through them and that puts alot of strain on the parts that are stock. Its why Race cars and drag bikes are breaking all the time. I hope you can see were I am comeing from. Oh well time to pack im going to the sand dunes for the week and well see if I have any problems. Have a good day!