Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yoshimura rs3 slip onDisapointment

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yoshimura rs3 slip onDisapointment

Aright i got a yoshimura rs3 slip on that is in mint condition and put it on my bike. Other than that my quad is stock and the thing runs just as good as stock and maby a bit worse. I am very disapointed in this pipe because i had people telling me i will atleast gain like 4 HP and i dint get nothing. Now I realize there may be a litle bit in the jeting and i am going to try A k&n filter but I know what lean is and i know my raptor is not runing lean or it may be on the edge of lean. People even told me I was going to see better throtle responce but i did not see an inprovement. Do you think that jeting will help pick up that HP I am not geting because as it lookes right now, i dont see why you people put on loud pipes for like no HP gains. Even with jets and a K&n I dont see how you could get half the HP numbers some of you are geting. This pipe thing is way over rated. Some help or commit on this subject would be great thanks rob

Old 07-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

What did you put this on? If I remember right its a warrior but not sure.

Anyway when I added just a HMF slip-on to my warrior no other changes the gains where very minimal. So i ordered a K&N filter and opened up the air box and rejetted and it made a very noticeable difference. It lugged down alot better I could creep in 2nd gear where it used to stall in first and power was alot better. To get the advantage of letting more air out (what after market pipe does) you have to let more air in. Warriors are sluggish off take off this is due to the carb. that is why you see alot of people change carb.

If dont have a warrior most this still applies what doesnt is for someone else lol

Old 07-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Range Rover

ya i got a 2001 raptor 660r and i am going to put a k&n on and jet it right and see what happens. I know an engine is an air pump. I removed the airbox lid and it throtled much better but was running way to lean. Still if the difference is minimal i will be selling this pipe. I dont need more noise for 2 HP.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

Dont expect to get HP if your not going to jet it and open up the air filter, you won't see the results you want. You will be very happy with it after you jet it and get a K&N

Old 07-14-2006, 11:52 PM
Range Rover

if I put one of tho's highflow Airbox Lids (<-- like on this link) will i reseve the same results as taking the lid off???

Old 07-14-2006, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RaptorRidn9000
if I put one of tho's highflow Airbox Lids (<-- like on this link) will i reseve the same results as taking the lid off???
Ive got the K&N versin of that, I like it cause its an actual air filter lid and I can just clean it the same way as my filter. I think it mite cost a little more than the one on the link.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:28 AM
Range Rover

Ya i was just going to put a k&n in it and remove the snorkle part and then jet it. Still i have heard you need to go to 150/155 and that is not much bigger. I dont see how im going to get any real power out of this pipe. Iv heard people talking about a 4 to 5 HP gain and after putting it on all i see is a 4 to 5 gain in decibles.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

You need to remove the lid or cut a big hole in it or buy that high flow lid....(put your hand over the modded lid and you will feel a wind tunnel) it needs it....you also must rejet.....some stock pipes can be modded by installing lock washers under it to move it out and let more air flow--but may melt plastic near the tip...

Old 07-15-2006, 12:56 AM
Range Rover

I dont think i want to remove the lid and dont think i will need to with slip on pipe a k&n with no snorkle should give me what i am looking for if it dosent im selling it aall and putting stock pipes on. I was at the dunes and was beating all kinds of piped raptors and they thought i had engine mods but i was stock. I think when tuned stock runs great and i dont know what the hype is with these loud pipes. LOUD does not make power!!!

Old 07-15-2006, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

slipons are usually a dissappointment. i know it costs more, but get the full system, it will flow better. few bikes have a good enough head pipe from the factory. id go uni on the filter if i were you, but thats JMO.

Quick Reply: yoshimura rs3 slip onDisapointment