Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

piston melted on blaster

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piston melted on blaster

hey i bought a toomey pipe for my 05 blaster and i didnt even have 20 hours on it with that pipe and my piston melted and i wasnt riding hard at all any way now i want a bore kit for it but i have no idea witch one to get and if i get a bore kit for it can i still use the toomey pipe?

Old 07-31-2006, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

First of all did you jet up when you installed the toomey pipe, if you didnt that is what burned a hole in your piston. To figure out what size piston you will need you will first need to know if your cylinder has been bored before, if it has you are going to have to get it measured and then see how deep the grooves are in your cylinder to know how much you are going to have to bore it. If it hasnt been bored before a stock piston is 66mm for a blaster, but you are still going to have to know how much damage has been done to the cylinder to know if you can bore it and if you can how much. I had a piston melt in my banshee and I had to get it bored .020 over. It was already bored .060 and since I knew that I was going to have to bore it .020 I had to order a .080 piston kit.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer

oh hold on do you want a big bore kit???

Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Trailblazer

the pipe came in a kit with an air filter,jet,and pipe and i put the jet in it
also i want to get the most power that i can i dont know that much about bore kits so im gessing i want a big bore kit lol

Old 08-01-2006, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

and it hasn't been bored out befor i bought it new

Old 08-01-2006, 05:27 AM
Pro Rider

um well big bores waste gas and money get a port and polish before u do that if u want to waste money on a big bore. did u put on the flange on is the pipe leaking? did u put the silencer on right? kust asking. lol if u put the jet in it should have been fine. just my .2 cents

Old 08-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

What would a leaking exhaust flange do? Is it bad on the machine for it to be leaking? My FMF has a slip joint right off of the jug and a spring that holds it on. It leaks in the slip joint. I want to make sure that it won't jack something up.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

Question! How do you fry a piston in less than a year?

Old 08-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before anything else, are you sure you hooked the autolube back up right? If you got about $600 you can get a big bore kit from vito's. The $600 kit replaces the whole top end of the motor. Its not just a bigger bore, it's a whole new port/head design. They also have a big bore sleeve kit for around $250. You would need to have the sleeve pressed in by a shop. If this is the first time the motor burned down, I would just have the shop fit a piston for you.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: fastquad02blaster
What would a leaking exhaust flange do? Is it bad on the machine for it to be leaking? My FMF has a slip joint right off of the jug and a spring that holds it on. It leaks in the slip joint. I want to make sure that it won't jack something up.

well from what i heard and know it removes backpressure thus osing power and throws the jetting off and can run u lean which could burn a hole in the piston. but idk if this is completely right but would bet my 2 cents on it.

Quick Reply: piston melted on blaster