Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior in the shop

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warrior in the shop

My 87 is in the shop with no spark, at least when it went in it had no spark. Now it has intermediate spark. We were riding last saturday in some woods (no water) for about 2 hours turning the machines off every half hour or so. Everything was fine, but when we left and pulled out on the road mine quit. I got it started a couple more times for about a second, then it wouldn't fire. I have read all kinds of old post but nothing quite fits my situation. We never got the bikes wet, which we almost always ride water with no problems. My mechanic is waiting for specs, but he thinks it's the stator. Any suggestions? I have gone a week without riding and it is killing me. Thanks

Old 08-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

sounds like something is loose and is getting out of adjustment

Old 08-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah but what? We were riding heavy woods with alot of brush. I am hoping I just pulled a wire loose but they can't seem to trace it.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

Dam whats up speedy??? I havent been on here in a long time ur the only person i recognize anymore

Old 08-14-2006, 06:05 AM
Pro Rider

Go through the wire harness and make sure everything is tight and secure. Then id get out the electrical testing equipment and test everything in the harness. Since it died repeatidly it sounds like somthing is loose, if it died instantly (and stays dead) it usually means something went bad.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

balck atallion!!! i aint seen u in forever.. what happened to your raptor??

Old 08-23-2006, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer

2 weeks later and it's still in the shop. When I stopped in today to check on it the owner told me to pick it up because they don't know when they will get to it. The problem is with taking it home they still haven't diagnosed the problem. The owner has been sure it's the stator since we first talked, but I don't want to spend $250 (part alone) on a guess. I told them I will be back on monday to figure out what to do. There is no other local mechanics that can get to it soon, so I am kinda stuck. Electrical is not my strong suit. I am going on 3 weeks of not riding and it is killing me! Any suggestions? (they did say they checked a ll the connections and one was poor, but it was not the problem and they had to wait a week for factory specs, but I don' think they have touched it since they got them)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 08-24-2006, 01:40 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 2003 Warrio. Luckily taht is all fine still.

My friend has a 1997 Warrior. It started haivng a weak spark problem shortly after he bought it used. It took a while to figure it out. Because some times it would be warm and it would not restart. He'd crank on it, give up, crank on it some more and then it would eventually start.

Eventually it would not restart again. It had spark, but not anything like my spark looked like.

The bad thing was the 1997 and 2003 wiring was different so he couldn't test my CDI module.

Anyway he bought an aftermarket CDI and it didn't fix it.

Then he bought a Stator and that fixed it.

From what we were told, it was usually the Stator.

Pull your wire and hang a plug on it and see if you get SOME spark. His was really weak but still sparked.

I think the insulation on the Stator windings just start to break down and will short together or to ground.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer

When I had it home and looked at it myself it had no spark going by the test you said to do. In the shop they say it has intermediate spark. I want it back, but I want to know for sure what the problem is. It seems like it is the stator.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Trailblazer

From what I hear, the Stator is known to eventually wear out.

Quick Reply: warrior in the shop