Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ450 OVERHEATING? HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ450 OVERHEATING? HELP PLEASE!

Ok guys. I think my yfz might be overheating but i am not quite 100% sure. Basically I rebuilt the motor new top and all ya iknow. Measured the valve clearances and everything checked out alright. I did everything correctly set the timing and all. Well it wouldnt start when i rebuilt it cause the float was stuck so i cleaned out the carb really good. (didnt mess with the jets at all though) Then she started right up. Now heres the problem. I will be riding and all is fine. But then like when i let off the throttle and hold in the clutch the thing will rev up for a second and then go back down to normal idle (no the throttle is not getting stuck). This will continue until all of a sudden when i let off the gas the engine will go to die. I quickly have to pull in the clutch and slam on the throttle to avoid this of course. Then about 5 minutes after the motor does this. Smoke will come out where the header and silencer connect. But smoke does not come out the rear of the exaust. Something is not right and not adding up. I dont wanna mess up this bike and buy all new parts again lol. So someone please help me!!! Also the guy that had it before me redid the electrical so that the lights are always on. I am not sure if he bypassed the coolant overheat red light so i have no clue if the engine is getting to hot. Someone hook me up here please thanks! Todd

Old 05-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a clogged exhaust to me also do the zip tie mod and if you have a 05 or 06 yfz get the oil upgrade done.