Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

bolt on power for Banshee?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2000, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey. I've got a '99 Banshee. The only mods I've done are FMF Gold Series pipes and Power Core 2 silencers, and the re-jet to match. What would be my best bet at bolting on horsepower now? I'm looking to make it faster, but without tearing into the engine. I don't have that kind of funds available to spend on it. Also, have any of you changed the sprockets on your machines? I'd like to give it a little more bottom end, but not take too much off the top speed. Would one tooth smaller in the front do me much good? Any comments appreciated.

Old 12-02-2000, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

shave the head! this is a very good way to gain power across the power band with a good bit on the bottom. 50bucks for the head work and a head gasket and your set.its not hard at all to remove and replace the head .

Old 12-02-2000, 05:01 PM
Trailblazer

Vision,
If the entire head is shaved, wouldn't that result in less cc's being displaced and thereby less power? I'm not doubting you, I'm just an idiot when it comes to such things. Please explain it to me so that I can understand how it increases power.
Also, can you give me any numbers? How much should the head be shaved? Once it's done, I could leave everything else as it is? No re-jetting or anything? I don't unerstand how it makes more power, but it sounds easy enough to do. You've definitely got me interested in it. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2000, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

by shaving the head this boost your compression the more comp you have causes more force on the piston when fuel explodes due to the more confined space between the piston dome and head. this can give you a few extra ponys for a small investment as for how much to shave i took 50thou off of mine and was very satisfied i run around 150psi you can stay with pump gas up to about 165psi after that most people go to race gas to prevent pre detination.

Old 12-02-2000, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer

Vision,
Excellent. That makes a lot of sense. I just spoke to a friend that races and he told me the same thing. Monday I'll be at the machine shop. I imagine I'll be able to feel the difference as soon as I get it back together. Thanks a lot.

Old 12-03-2000, 02:09 AM
Trailblazer

Vision,
is the 165psi race gas requirement just for banshees or does any machine running around 165 psi need race gas to prevent detonation. I have a quadzilla right around that psi.
Addict

Old 12-03-2000, 03:42 AM
Trailblazer

change your airfilter would be your next add on-i have a toomey 2:1 that makes a major difference

rick

Old 12-03-2000, 12:45 PM
Trailblazer

A riding buddy has a 2000 Banshee that has FMF pipes/silencer, K+N filter and bigger carbs. Another buddy has 1999 Banshee with "everything" done to it from Trinity but with stock carbs. The stock carbs seem to be a very limiting factor with the Banshee.

I will have these two guys post their own thoughts for you to read.

Old 12-03-2000, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the replies. I have two more questions. First, does shaving the head as we've mentioned cause over-heating? I've been warned that it may. Second, could anyone tell me what the expression "put up wet" means? I keep hearing that I am hard on my machine by doing this. Does it literally mean riding through water and then parking it? If so, why is this so hard on it? Thanks.

Old 12-04-2000, 01:02 AM
bob
Trailblazer

not alot of money, lookin for some power, advance the timing by slotting the holes in the stator plate.
if you have a flywheel puller and a diegrinder or dremel tool it wont cost u any more than your time.
ive had my banshee for several years and only this past summer looked into it, gains were most notable for me from low to mid. i ended up moving up 2 sizes on the main jet.

Quick Reply: bolt on power for Banshee?