Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak/Grizzly 450 = gutless?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006 | 02:18 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Kodiak/Grizzly 450 = gutless?

I wouldn't expect it to compair with the 600cc+ quads but just wanted to get an idea if it was comparable to other 400cc machines. I done some searching on this forum adn it seems like it has a love/hate reputation. Some people speak highly of it and others don't care for the power at all.

I like all the features that if offers and it seems like a good value for the price. Is it physically smaller than a Grizzly?

Old 09-13-2006 | 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

I had the Eiger before I bought my Kodiak. My 5sp Eiger was snappier then my Kodiak. You would have to compare the auto to the auto. I think it would be a lot closer comparison for acceleration. Top end is relatively the same, Give or take a mph. Eiger was way better in the fuel mileage department. Comfort of ride goes to the Kodiak. I just like the auto for hunting. I did not like the cable for the Eiger 4wd system. Froze up a couple of times during deer season at unopportune times. The diff lock saved me a couple of times already and the extra ground clearance is a plus. Both bikes are great, if the deal I found was an Eiger auto I would still be driving an Eiger but auto.

Old 09-14-2006 | 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

yes it's smaller... You can toss the kodiak around a lot easier than the griz...

Old 09-14-2006 | 03:23 AM
|
Pro Rider

Sounds like the auto trannys suck up some of the power? I don't have much ride time on any auto tranny quads. My brother used to have a '95 Scrambler 400 and it did pretty well but it was a 2 stroke. The Grizzly 400 I test rode just seemed soft. It didn't take off with any snort, kind of like a rubber band when you hit the gas, there was a delay and then it started rolling. I'm guessing the Kodiak/Grizzly 450 is the same kind of feeling probably like any 4-stroke, auto tranny quad?

I know the autos are superior for hill climbing and mud running. That I could see with the old Scrambler and just riding with my buddies who have Honda Rincons. What's funny to me is that when we do an informal drag race between their Rincons and my Eiger, I can get the jump out of the hole and keep slightly ahead until 3rd or 4th then they pass me by. Their quads are 650cc and 675cc and they don't appear to have a ton more power. But they do real well in the trails we ride so I'm wanting an auto. I know the Rincon is a completely different tranny than the Yamaha, but is the 450 enough motor for an auto tranny? I appears the Griz 450 is only 10 or so pounds lighter than the Griz 660. I haven't looked at the Griz 700 specs.

Old 09-14-2006 | 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

The Grizz 700 is, by far, superior to any of the other Grizzly offerings. If it's not outside your budget, you should really consider one. Otherwise, the 660 or 450 would be a very acceptable alternative.

The auto transmission on the 450 will not rob it of power. If it bogged down that much, the manufacturers wouldn't make them to begin with. Using different clutch weights on the auto trannys, you can make them launch much more aggressively - so I've read.

Old 09-14-2006 | 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

If your riding buddies are on 650s I would get the big bore Grizz. I don't think you'll ever be happy with the 450. The Kodiak is a little smaller in size (but not as much as the pre-2005 Kodiaks were). Doesn't the Grizzly 450 weigh 588 lbs, and the Grizzly 700 weigh 602 lbs, or something like that? Pretty minimal difference in weight it would appear.

Its too bad the Kodiak isn't still the size it used to be, but with the 660 engine in it, then Yamaha could have a smaller more nimble big bore, instead of a virtually the same size and weight mid-size.

Old 09-14-2006 | 12:57 PM
Trailblazer

I don't think the 450 kodiak is gutless. Mine is a 2006. My friend has a honda 400at and I can kick his *** easily.

Old 09-14-2006 | 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

I can't vouch for the Grizzly or Kodiak with the auto tranny but my girlfriends Bruin has plenty of "punch" on take-off.
It lacks in the low end department because of the belt drive but it accelerates plenty fast in my opinion.

Old 09-14-2006 | 11:41 PM
Range Rover

I stopped in at my local Yamaha dealer today to look at the new Grizzly 700. It is a monster! They had a Grizzly 450 beside it and it looked like a much easier machine to handle; much less tall and petite. Sure, I'd like the much larger engine, especially with the automatic transmission losses. I have a Polaris Expedition 425 (manual transmission) and
about the only real issue I have is that when I was riding with a group in the Richfield, Utah ATV Jamboree, I would wait until the dust cleared before following and by that time the group was often out of site so I had to really get on the gas to catch up. That wasn't a problem except when going up a mountain. Then I wanted more power than the 425 could deliver. If my Polaris was an automatic, I'd really be left behind. So, if the big Grizzly 700 doesn't scare you off, it would be a great (but expensive) choice.

Old 09-15-2006 | 09:05 AM
Pro Rider

I feel the performance differences between a manual shift and an automatic are too exaggerated. I have a Polaris Magnum with a 425cc engine and it rolls along just fine - even uphill. Believe it or not, the automatic DOES offer one advantage over a manual shift. There is no loss of momentum going uphill when downshifting because you never have to downshift.

Quick Reply: Kodiak/Grizzly 450 = gutless?